Monday, September 1, 2014

Origin by Emilia I. Rutigliano Interview:


Contemporary / Women's Fiction
Date Published:February 14, 2014

   
Alexandra Kamin is everywoman. At 42, she has a loving family, terrific children, a great career with a superlative income, a gorgeous face with a terrific figure, and a loving boyfriend. Most impressive is that she is in complete control of every ambit of her life.

Where do you go when you are at the top?

ORIGIN takes you back to the beginning… the beginning of Alexandra’s life in America, the beginning of the truest of love affairs, and the beginning of an entrepreneurial life. Through a series of flashbacks and conversations, Alexandra explains every nuance that made this beautiful family a dynasty that you want to root for.


Schooling, work, child rearing, and family affairs are all under Alexandra’s Order are all accounted for as the years go by.  GNO, love affairs and the truest of loyalties are best second time around.




Emilia I. Rutigliano

Emilia I. Rutigliano is an attorney who writes about people that she finds interesting.  Although her books are fiction, she weaves in a lot of the events of her own life, practice and travels.  She lives in New York City with her husband and three precocious teenagers (who occasionally acknowledge her existence when the internet is malfunctioning). 
ALEXANDRA’S ORDER is Emilia’s second book series, and is geared toward readers who enjoy a full story about multi-dimensional characters.  Because ORDER takes place in many locations with many different cultures, Emilia doesn’t write it unless she visits each location and meets the people who speak, think and act the same way as the characters in the book.  It’s a tough life, but she perseveres…

Interview:
What inspired you to write your first book?
My first book (which isn’t this series) was written on a dare.  It was never my intent to be an author or writer, I was just annoyed at the Women’s Contemporary genre.  I couldn’t find one decent heroine that inspired me.  Either they weren’t realistic or they weren’t well developed.  A girlfriend of mine insisted that I read the Fifty Shades trilogy because she was enthralled with it, but I couldn’t figure out why it was so popular.  This caused an argument and a dare that began with:  “You think you can do better – Write your own novel.”  And so I did.  It turned out to be a five-book series.  Then I retired from the world of writing and my girlfriends got together and said: “There will be none of that!” And so Alexandra was born.  The ORDER series was written as an evolvement of self of a very interesting woman.  ORIGIN is the first book.  It introduces the characters and tells the history.  Alexandra is a work in progress – in oh-so-many ways.

Do you have a specific writing style?

Yes.  I write the way I speak.  It is exactly the same way I tell a story to my family at dinner, at drinks with girlfriends or to a jury.  I love to relate dialogues, feelings, looks and what is around the setting.  It’s a distinct style.  People either love it or hate it.  I understand that completely.  I’m just hoping to find more readers who love it.
How did you come up with the title?

I’m an enormous fan of multiple meanings and puns.  ORDER (which is the name of this series) has over 35 meanings.  Each of them is relevant and used in the content of the book.  This series has four books (ORIGIN, ORGANIZATION, ORIENT and ORACLE). Each title has multiple meanings that make up the storyline and the situation, the history and the future.
Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

Absolutely!  There is more than one way to look at life and a situation.  There is more than one way to love, to have a family, to run a corporation, to have a career, to live…   To judge a romance by a meeting, courting, ring gifting and marriage is a disservice to the myriads of great love affairs in history.  There is also life after death – for those that passed and for those that are living.  I also believe that family is everything – although you don’t have to be related to those persons by blood or marriage.  There are a lot of messages and lessons in the book.  It’s just a matter of whether you see them.  They aren’t for everyone.  But if it is meant for you… It’s there.
How much of the book is realistic?

ALL of it.  Every single character, situation and event is 100% realistic.  You ‘know’ all of these characters.  It is highly philosophical, practical and multi-faceted – like life.
Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

Everything I write is inspired by my own life and persons I come into contact with.  I research the places, and the careers and the conversations.  If I don’t understand a career, I don’t write about it.  But mostly, I love writing about women who run the world while they raise a family and have remarkable affairs.  That is my definition of success.
What books have most influenced your life most?
That’s a tough question.  My background is in Literature.  I focused a lot on authors like James Joyce and concepts like ‘deconsturction’.  So there are the classics (Hugo and Dickens).  Then there are the genres I read for enjoyment (Napoleon Hill).  Then there are the entrepreneurial think outside the box books (Tim Ferris and T. Harv Eckert).  I like the spiritual diatribe (Sylvia Browne).  And, of course, the Warren Buffet jewels.  [Nothing in my genre, though…Sorry]  

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
Malcolm Gladwell.  He is brilliant.  The way he deciphers a situation is like no one else I’ve read.  Though what I write is in a completely different genre, I would heed his counsel on anything.  Truly inspired.

What book are you reading now?
There are several.  I’m reading Fountainhead (Ayn Rand) in paperback.  I’m listening to audiobooks while I’m commuting, currently it’s The Rise of the Creative Class (Richard Florida).  My Kindle has several books in queue, but if I have the time to pick up a kindle, I just write.  I’m in the middle of writing ORIENT, the third book in this series. 
What would you like my readers to know?


ORIGIN is a tough read.  There is A LOT in it, and everything has a meaning.  There are 26 chapters and they are in alphabetical order, and each title chapter name has several meanings.  But I’m a firm believer in the strength of women, and mentoring, and building up as a family.  And I like money – earning it, investing it and spending it.  It doesn’t embarrass me.  All these concepts are in the book.  But if you ‘get into’ the series, it is like a wonderful friend.  I so hope you join me.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment