Wednesday, July 3, 2013

L Ron Hubbard Audio Book Reviews!

Ok these are all audio books and L Ron Hubbard is a master of his genre. to see his words come to life so I could hear the actual voices was awesome. Not only that but there are also sound effects. This collection is really fun to listen to. On to my reviews!

Hell's Legionaire:
Sentenced to a French penal colony for killing an officer (in self-defense), American Dusty Colton flees the French Foreign Legion he so willingly joined and rushes headlong into a Berber tribal lair. To his horror, he discovers a captive American woman who's in the process of being whipped and tortured by the bandit leader.
Despite the low odds of him winning out against the entire Berber tribe alone, Dusty can't leave the woman behind. Even if he figures out an escape from the camp, he still has to manage a way to get them both out of the country alive with both the Foreign Legion and the Berbers at their heels.
ALSO INCLUDES THE ADVENTURE STORIES "THE BARBARIANS" AND "THE SQUAD THAT NEVER CAME BACK"
My Review: 
I liked this story because it had a strong American that did not want to let a woman get tortured. It reminded me that people are willing to risk their lives for others. When the woman was getting tortured I could hear the drama in the voices, and it was like watching a horror movie unfold. I am giving this a 4/5. The 2 added stories were also really cool.
Gunman's Tally:
Easy Bill Gates, genial landowner of the Las Pinas ranch, unwillingly earns a reputation as a gunman when, in the first (and only) rage of his life, he kills outlaw Fanner Marsten for murdering his brother.

Enter George Barton, an unscrupulous, power-hungry hulk of a man and owner of the adjoining El Rancho Grandisimo, who seeks to add Las PiƱas to his holdings. Instead of offering a decent price for the place, Barton hires the fastest and filthiest gunmen alive to run Bill off his land. Now the only law anyone can turn to is Judge Colt . . . revolver. 
 
ALSO INCLUDES THE WESTERN STORY "RUIN AT RIO PIEDRAS"
My Review:
I laughed when I saw that the gunman's name was Bill Gates. I can completely understand why he did what he did to get his reputation. However Bill did not count on his snake neighbor to try and take his land, by any means necessary. Like most western tales a gunfight is on the horizons. The special effects on this one made me jump a few times. I liked the ending as well. This was a great way to experience a western story. I am giving this a 4/5.
The Phantom Patrol:
On the trail of dope runners on the high seas, Coast Guard CPO Johnny Trescott receives an SOS from a transport plane that's crashed and sinking. With lives at stake, Johnny must cut off his pursuit and rescue the downed plane.

Unfortunately, the dope-smuggling pirate he's chasing hears the same alarm, and greets Johnny and his crew at the crash scene with something far more than they bargained for.
My Review:
The effects were so good, I almost got seasick. lol. The plot of this one didn't seem to be that unique to me. Pirates going after booty has been around forever. However the way that the author described the situation was great, and the story was still a very interesting read for me. I am giving this a 3/5.
The Black Sultan:
American Eddie Moran is about to be captured in Morocco by the French Foreign Legion when bullets start flying at two gentlemen walking right towards him. Saving the men, Eddie learns that one is the US vice-consul, but the other is the recently deposed Berber leader, El Zidan. When a friendship forms between them, Eddie escapes the French with Zidan's help, only to be captured later and taken to the Atlas mountain stronghold of the Black Sultan, the cruel usurper of El Zidan's throne.

Not only must Eddie find a way out, he's bent on saving a beautiful American woman kidnapped to join a harem as one of the Sultan's many brides.

ALSO INCLUDES THE ADVENTURE STORY "ESCAPE FOR THREE"
My Review:
This story I could relate to. Just when you dodge trouble, a worse trouble finds you anyway. Of course there is a damsel in distress that Eddie wants to save. I felt bad for the other women in the harem and thought that they should all be saved. The Black Sultan needs to be taken out. Before Eddie is replaced with other innocents. I am giving this a 5/5. 
I was given all the above in exchange for honest reviews, however all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment