Friday, January 25, 2013

The Tainted Coin by Mel Starr

 
If you follow my reviews then you know that I love a good historical story. Whether it be a bibliography or a Scottish romance. I love to read about different time periods of the past to when times were much simpler and before the technology boom that has become our everyday lives. I also love a good mystery. Hugh de Singleton was a investigator in a time period before Sherlock Holmes. It fascinated me to see how he conducted his investigation.
 
The body of a man in found. Why was he killed? Once the body was moved, a coin was noticed. It was hidden in the victim's mouth. What importance could this one coin have? Was it the reason someone died? Was someone trying to steal it? or was someone trying to hide it? Were there more? This is where Hugh de Singleton comes into the picture. He finds out what is written on the coin. and travels to the victim's house to get answers. Does he have a family? Did he steal the coin? Was his death payback?
Once Hugh is inside the home he realizes that he needs a key. He looks everywhere and finally finds it. It is when he uses it that the true mystery begins. How did the victim get these items in his possession? Do they now belong to his family? Hugh asks questions of the victim's neighbours and finds out that the victim did mention a family. Once. How hard is it going to be to track them down? The questions pile up and so do the answers as Hugh continues his investigation.
 
I really liked this book. I loved the story line and am happy that there are more in the series. I will not pass up a chance to read Mel Starr in the future. I was given a copy of this book to review from Kregel, however all opinions are my own!
 
Except:
Chapter 2
When the chapman was properly buried I walked to
Aston and Cote and learned there two things. The man was
named John Thrale, and he visited Cote and Aston three
or four times each year. October was the latest month he
was likely to appear, as roads would soon be ankle-deep
in mud and travel would be cold, wet, and unpleasant. No
one knew of a certainty where he made his home. A crone
of Aston thought he was of Abingdon, but I mistrusted her
memory.
Shadows lay long upon the ground when I returned
to Bampton and Galen House. Bessie had discovered that,
with proper use of arms and legs, she could explore her
surroundings. Without constant supervision she is likely to
cause herself some harm, as the fire is warm and inviting
upon the hearth on a chill autumn day. So it is with men,
who must be guided by the Lord Christ, else they harm
themselves with the appealing but perilous things of the
world. Kate was pleased at my return, as she then had an
assistant to contain our daughter’s explorations, while she
busied herself at the work of the house.
Kate asked what news, and I told her of the silver
coin and learning the chapman’s name. I showed Kate the
coin, and lamented that the letters stamped upon it were
illegible. Kate took the coin from me, studied it, then turned
to the hearth. From a corner of the fireplace she took a
dead, blackened coal, then lifted the lid from my chest and
drew from it a sheet of the parchment upon which I record
accounts of events in Bampton. She placed the coin upon
our table, laid the parchment atop it, then lightly brushed
the coal across the two. An imprint of the coin appeared,
and some of the letters circling the coin became readable.
CA_A_SIV ET F_ATR_S S_I” were discernible. With some
study I was able to construe the letters which were worn
away. The inscription read, “CARAVSIVS ET FRATRES
SVI” – “Carausius and his brothers”.

No comments:

Post a Comment