This post is part of a virtual book tour organized by Goddess Fish Promotions. Jon Ketzner will be awarding a $25 Amazon/BN gift card to a randomly drawn winner. Click on the tour banner to see the other stops on the tour.
On the eve of President John F. Kennedy's final trip to Dallas, an irreverent narrator from the Ether begins to reveal the hidden chain of events that history never recorded. Spanning decades and weaving together Hollywood legends, political dynasties, secret affairs, and forgotten tragedies, Coincidence imagines how seemingly unrelated lives become entangled in the most infamous assassination of the twentieth century. From Joseph P. Kennedy and Gloria Swanson to Jackie Kennedy, Mary Pinchot Meyer, and the young Lee Harvey Oswald, every choice, passion, and betrayal sends ripples through time. Behind every headline lies another story, and every story hides a secret long buried. As the strands converge on November 22, 1963, the line between fate and accident begins to blur. Rich in historical detail and provocative speculation, Coincidence asks: was it really coincidence at all?
Read an Excerpt
Jackie rarely consulted him about her clothing. Her sense of style, if not her sense of humor, was notorious.
“The pink.”
She seemed surprised. “Why the pink?”
“Texas. All those tired cowgirls raising their brat kids to be Miss America. They adore pink in Texas.”
The First Lady eyed the pink at arm’s length. She shrugged. “Okay. The pink.”
“But the hat,” POTUS said, “could you do without the hat. I hate those things.”
Jackie shook her head.
“I’ll need the hat. Without the bubble top on, my hair would be a mess.”
The president leaned back against the pillows on his rock-hard bed, supine in his boxers and the argyles Bobby had given him which bore the presidential seal. He grinned.
“Remember the times when we would drift down the Potomac, standing by the rail, the wind blowing wildly through your hair, and there on the river in the middle of the city you would sink sexily to your knees…”
“Drop dead, Mr. President.” Words Jackie would soon want back.
The door to Suite 850 opened and George Lapp entered to help The President dress. He nodded at Jackie. He had seen her naked many times and was indifferent to the marital scenario into which he had strolled. Jackie smiled curtly and sidled toward her own room to don the pink Chanel, including its matching hat.
Before she left, the President grinned and said to his valet. “I might need the back brace today, George, had a strenuous night.”
About the Author: Jon Ketzner was born in Cumberland, Maryland in the lovely Appalachian foothills. He grew up in Baltimore then graduated from Towson University with a degree in mathematics and went on to a long career as a consulting actuary. For many years, Jon and his family lived in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania before moving back to Cumberland in 1990.
As a recovering actuary and inspired by the Maryland Writers Association’s “Notable Authors” monthly challenges, Jon decided to try his hand at writing and give his left-brain side a rest. He cites as influences: Henry Fielding, Joseph Heller, Gregory McDonald, and Tim Dorsey.
Where are you from?
I am from Cumberland, Md, where I live now. I was born here but moved away as a child and grew up in Baltimore. I went to high school and college...Towson University...in Baltimore. I started my career as a consulting actuary in Baltimore then after marrying my wife Marcie (also an actuary) moved to Bryn Mawr PA. After working in Philly for 15 years, we decided we wanted to live in a small town to raise our small children and moved back to Cumberland in 1990. I live here still though both of our kids and their families live, ironically, back in Philly. So, we spend much time there and at our home outside Ocean City, Md.
Tell us your latest news?
My latest news is the September 1 release of my fourth published book, a historiographic meta fiction novel centered around the assassination of President Kennedy. It is titled "Coincidence." I wrote it this past spring, mostly in Aspen and as"artist in residence" at a local independent book store " Lily Books and Cafe." The story is a semi-snarky, hopefully humorous not-too-soon tweaking of that sad day in Dallas. Unlike say Quentin Tarantino’s revenge porn changing of the basic history of events, my tale fills in some not known events from the days and years before 1963 that played a part in JFK's last bad day. The narrative is directed by an all-knowing narrator.
When and why did you begin writing?
I began writing several years ago inspired by a monthly challenge of the Maryland Writers Association. The MWA published in newspapers around the state a prompt based on the style and genre of famous Maryland authors. The challenge was to begin a story and in 100 words imitate the stylings of the selected Maryland author. Selected entries were then published in the newspapers around the state. My entries were generally selected and that was the first ink I ever received for fiction. At the urging of publisher Jim Brewster, I then expanded 16 of my 100-word prompt responses into full-blown short stories which Jim published in two anthologies: "Hillbilly Anthology," and "Where's That Bastard Owen?" I then wrote my first novel, "Bad Consequence," and now my second novel "Coincidence."
When did you first
consider yourself a writer?
I was an editor on my high school newspaper and won the literary award for a short story I wrote. So, in spite of being an actuary anda math major, I have always known I had some writing skills. In my retirement, I became a busy letter to the editor writer and have had many letters published in newspapers around the country. When it comes to fiction, I enjoy the story telling and the character interfacing...my prose is workmanlike, rather than artsy-fartsy. I fancy myself a literary Grandma Moses whose paintings were hailed for their primitiveness...my writing is unabashedly primitive.
What inspired you to write your first book?
As noted, Jim Brewster inspired me to write my first short-story anthology.
What would you like my readers to know?
I would like your readers to know that my intention in writing my fiction is to produce quick, fun reads in easily consumable eyefuls. I am glad to have published original stories before AI takes over the creative process. I did not use AI in any of my writing...my anti-AI prejudices and lack of sufficient computer skills preclude such cheating. For many of my short stories and my first novel, my basic narrative model was a strong female protagonist, cartoon villains and a happy ending. That model is overlayed somewhat on my JFK novel's fictional characters but, alas, the non-fictional characters are doomed to their non-fictional fates.
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/34506564.Jon_Ketzner


Thank you so much for featuring me on your fine blog. It is very impressive and entertaining. I’ll be checking for comments
ReplyDelete