Saturday, April 9, 2016

Jackie: The Adventures of a Little Boy Trying to Grow Up By John Tammela Review


Jackie: The Adventures of a Little Boy Trying to Grow Up
By John Tammela
Publisher: Acorn Independent Press
Published: March 2014
ISBN: 978-1909121461
ASIN: B00JDOBGCK
Genre: on Fiction, Personal Narrative, Young Adult, Children
Jackie was an average kid growing up in a Finnish family in Niagara Falls, Canada in the late 1930’s and early ’40’s.
In this true story you will join Jackie as he deals with being the youngest of four children, but also the terrors of his second grade teacher or the school nurse, and the pangs of his first crush. Then there was the run-away bread wagon and being lost in a snow storm, but snow meant building a huge snow castle and of course snow-ball battles on the ramparts. This book may seem best suited for middle grade readers but not so. There are oldsters, grand-parents and parents too who will become teary-eyed as they recall similar experiences. What do you suppose is the author’s message here ?
My Review:
The great thing about this book is that we can all relate to parts of the story. Although I imagine that boys can relate more than I did. I also really liked that this story is an autobiography and it highlights a special time in history. It was interesting to read about Canada, rather than The United States. What made this book believable was that it is told from a child's point of view, rather than an adults. I go think that the cover does not fit the story, and led me to think that the story was going to be much more depressing. All in all I did like the story and I would love to read future installments from this author. I am giving this book a 4/5. I was given a copy to review, however all opinions are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment