Mummy's Locket (Mallory Grayson Mysteries) by Nan S. Russell
About Mummy's Locket
Mummy's Locket (Mallory Grayson Mysteries)
Cozy Mystery
1st in Series
Setting - New York State
Publisher : Next Chapter
Publication date : May 25, 2026
Print length : 308 pages
Hardcover ISBN-10 : 482417029X
ISBN-13 : 978-4824170293
Paperback Publication date : May 1, 2026
Print length : 306 pages
ISBN-13 : 979-8195110321
ASIN : B0GZ8JW9P4
Digital ASIN : B0GZ6XLDDB
The truth doesn’t stay buried forever. After losing everything, Mallory Grayson retreats to a quiet town, hoping a vintage shop and a fresh start will help her rebuild her life. But when the mummified body of her long-missing great-grandmother is discovered, Mallory is pulled into a mystery. Clues hidden in heirlooms, a secret room, and a past lover’s return offer answers … if she’s willing to risk everything to uncover them. In a story steeped in secrets and history, her courage may be the only thing that can break the curse. The past and present collide in MUMMY'S LOCKET, the first book in the Mallory Grayson Mysteries series by Nan S. Russell.
About Nan S. Russell
With both a bachelor’s and master’s in psychology, Nan S. Russell was fired from her first professional job. Taking a minimum wage position to pay the rent, sixteen promotions later, she decided to end a successful corporate career as a Vice President of a multibillion-dollar East Coast company, to pursue a life dream to live and write from the Rocky Mountains, first in northwestern Montana and now along the Front Range of Colorado. With a desire to help others live their dreams, too, she turned her real-world experience into writing award winning non-fiction career and business books and articles, and became a speaker and consultant on leadership, trust, and culture development. But she always knew she wanted to write fiction, too. That point arrived during the pandemic pause which provided the catalyst for rethinking her writing and its purpose, sparking the decision to move towards fiction with more time to study the craft, take online classes, hone skills and work on her first novel. Now, she is living her second dream: Writing mysteries. Mummy’s Locket is her debut novel and the first in her Mallory Grayson series. More at www.nanrussell.com.
INTERVIEW
(Nan S. Russell, Mummy’s Locket)
1. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer? I loved to write from the time I could hold a pencil. But it was my eighth-grade social studies teacher who planted the seeds of possibility. He told me I was a natural writer and should write books someday. I held that dream close, and two decades ago, I left a successful corporate career on the East Coastto pursue my dream to work and write from the Rocky Mountains. I spent the next decade turning my real-world experience into non-fiction books on leadership, trust, and culture development. But I wanted to write fiction, too. And I now am.
2. How long does it take you to write a book? It depends. Mummy’s Locket is my sixth book, but first novel. It’s been a six-year journey to develop ideas and characters, research historical elements, and write, and rewrite the story. Contrast that with an average of a year to write each of my non-fiction books. I know my future books will be faster. My next book in the series, One Deadly Postcard, will be out in 2027.
3. What is your work schedule like when you're writing? Typically, I’m at my desk by 8:00 a.m. and write for four or five hours, four days a week and normally take a walk at lunch. The afternoon’s focus includes working on my vintage business, and marketing, social media and/or writing community interactions. The fifth day is typically a conference call with my project-partner, and doing historical research, taking writing classes, and/or reading.
4. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk? I want to know the beginning, end, and catalyst/inciting incident before I write, plus the logline, theme, and stakes. Then, I write backstories of the key characters just for me. That way, I can understand what matters to them and why and how they’ll act in different situations. When I’m writing, it’s not uncommon for characters to inform me about their desires and feelings. I used to hear authors say their characters talked to them, but I never believed it until a year into writing this manuscript, when it happened to me. Now, periodically I expect it and on a couple of occasions delayed writing a scene until I “heard” my character’s thoughts.
5. How do books get published? I’m represented by an agent who found publishing homes for my non-fiction work. Since she doesn’t represent fiction, I queried fiction agents, hoping to get an offer for representation. When I didn’t, I queried small presses, and Next Chapter offered me a three-book contract for my Mallory Grayson Mysteries series. I‘m putting the finishing touches on book two, One Deadly Postcard, which will be published in 2027.
6. Where do you get your information or ideas for your books? I collect snippets. When I see something interesting, I note it down, whether it’s an interaction between people, an article, a quote, or an experience. An encounter with bog bodies while visiting the National Museum of Ireland sparked Mummy’s Locket.
7. When did you write your first book and how old were you? While I wrote stories as soon as I could print, my first book didn’t emerge until the first decade of this century when I shifted careers at age fifty.
8. What do you like to do when you're not writing? On the business side, I have two vintage shops on Etsy, one jewelry, the other collectibles, and enjoy hunting for unique vintage items from the last century. But overall, I love spending time with family and friends, reading, being in nature, traveling, movies, plus Broadway shows, listening to music, and learning new things.
9. What does your family think of your writing? When my granddaughter was in kindergarten, she insisted on taking my first book to show and tell. They’re my cheerleaders and honest critics who encourage my dreams, pick me up after rejection, read my manuscripts, offer input, provide technical support, and help me see through different eyes.
10. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books? I used to believe non-fiction was harder to write. Having experience writing non-fiction books that went from proposal to publication, I thought the challenges I heard from fiction writers at conferences were overblown. I was wrong. Fiction is harder. Much harder. At least it is for me. But it’s lots more fun!
11. How many books have you written? Six
Which is your favorite? Author Peter Drucker was asked in his 80s which of his 30+ books he was most proud of. “The next one,” he answered. I’d like to borrow his sentiment. I hope my next book, One Deadly Postcard, which I’m in the finishing stages of writing is the one I’m proudest of, and every book there after. In the meantime, my favorite is my most recent, Mummy’s Locket.
12. Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they? Every writer has a style and approach that works for them. Here are a few I learned from mistakes I made along my writing journey: (1) Understand the difference between the story and the plot. (2) Write the logline, know the theme, and understand the stakes before you even start writing. (3) Do work upfront: genealogy, setting, backstories, timeline, elements, etc., whatever the specifics are for your story.(3) Know why you’re writing this story and what you want readers to take away from it and/or feel. (4)Persistence wins. Keep writing. Keep learning. Keep growing thicker skin. Understand the business of writing as well as the craft of writing. Move at your own pace and on your own path. (5) Know why you’re writing. What’s your goal? And what success as a writer looks like for you.
13. Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say? This is my debut novel and I’d love to hear from more readers. A few comments include: “Captivating and engaging story with great characters I felt myself connecting with.” “I didn’t want it to end.” “Definitely a page-turner!” “Thoroughly enjoyable and clever who-done-it.” “The story is immersive, with well-painted images, as well as twists and turns that kept me hooked throughout.”
14. Do you like to create books for adults? I do. I love reading mysteries that have multiple threads and layers and drop breadcrumbs for the reader to solve the whodunit and “why” puzzle. And, I love the challenge of writing them.
15. What do you think makes a good story? Interesting characters to root for, a theme that’s emotionally impactful, surprises, and a desire to keep reading. An entertaining or informative story that stays with me, makes me think, touches my heart, or exposes me to new learnings. A story that makes me want to share or tell others about.
16. As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up? I wanted to make a difference, not in some big, public way. But to follow my dreams, live my life’s potential, and help others do the same.
17. What would you like my readers to know? Writers need readers. And publishers need to know that readers like a writer. So, if you read Mummy’s Locket and enjoy it, I hope you’ll post a review, tell a friend, and let me know (www.nanrussell.com). This is the first book in the Mallory Grayson Mysteries. While I have a publishing contract for books two and three, I’d like to write books beyond that. So, I hope you’ll help me do that by reading this one. If you’d like to keep in touch, please join my “occasional newsletter” sign-up on my website.
- Website: https://www.nanrussell.com
- Blog: https://www.nanrussell.com/blog
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nansrussell
- Twitter/X: https://x.com/nan_russell
- Threads: https://www.threads.com/@nan.s.russell/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/nan.s.russell/
- BlueSky: https://bsky.app/profile/nanrussell.bsky.social
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/nan-s-russell-7868417/
- Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/nansrussell/
- Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TwinklingStarVintage
- GoodReads Link: https://www.goodreads.com/author/list/940006.Nan_S_Russell
Have you signed up to be a Tour Host? Click Here to Find Details and Sign Up Today! Want to Book a Tour? Click Here

No comments:
Post a Comment