Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Here on the Ground and The Land of Mogan by Marianne Jones Reviews

Here on the Ground

From Northwestern Ontario a collection of poems by an award-winning poet that explores themes of loss, faith, folk tales and longing for transcendence from the perspective of one whose feet are firmly rooted here on the ground

My Review:
This is a great collection for a fall night. From Canadian poems to horror like poems, this book has a poem for everyone. I especially enjoyed the poem "Rapunzel". No, I did not notice that hse has freckles! I am giving this book a 5/5. I was given a copy, all opinions are my own. 

Image result for "the land of mogan" book

The Land of Mogan is a fantasy adventure for young readers ages 9-14. It follows the journey of a girl named Shalikka who must travel into the land of Mogan to rescue her kidnapped sister. Armed only with a mysterious book left her by her father, Shalikka is befriended along the way by a talking mouse named Thaddeus. Together, along with a small band of rebels, they join forces to overthrow an evil regime. According to one reviewer, " in this story Marianne Jones presents the dilemma of every person--uncompromising choice between good and evil." Another reviewer states, "Jones' sense of wonder and belief in her characters give The Land of Mogan a strength that appeals to children (and adults who read to children) with its convictions." Beautifully illustrated with pen-and-ink drawings by Laura Karelse, the story is lively and fast-paced. It makes a satisfying read for anyone who loves to see good triumph over evil.

My Review:
A missing sister, a determined youth, and good versus evil made this a very enjoyable read. I would also have to search. I liked that the author also made it fun for children with Thaddeus. There were servants and spies, and a king that wanted to keep things the way he wanted them. Or so it seemed. I liked the ending, and would love to see more adventures for Shalikka. I am giving this book a 5/5, I was given a copy, all opinions are my own.  

4 comments: