Sunday, May 17, 2015

Dark Sun, Bright Moon by Oliver Sparrow Review

Synopsis:

In the Andes of a thousand years ago, the Huari empire is sick. Its communities are being eaten from within by a plague, a contagion that is not of the body but of something far deeper, a plague that has taken their collective spirit. Rooting out this parasite is a task that is laid upon Q’ilyasisa, a young woman from an obscure little village on the forgotten borders of the Huari empire.

This impossible mission is imposed on her by a vast mind, a sentience that has ambitions to shape all human life. Her response to this entails confrontations on sacrificial pyramids, long journeys through the Amazonian jungle and the establishment of not just one but two new empires. Her legacy shapes future Andean civilization for the next four hundred years, until the arrival of the Spanish.

My Review:
This is a really interesting book about how the Andes could have been. This book is in the alternate history category. That is was amazes me about history. I was not there and I do not know what really happened. What truly amazed me about this book was that the author knew a lot about this part of the country. The pictures and maps were so accurate that at times I felt like I was reading a history book. I took Spanish in high school and can speak it fluently. However this was far more entertaining than what I learned from school. It was interesting to read a different take on history. I am giving this book a 5/5. I was given a copy to review, however all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment