Saturday, January 24, 2015

Spices & Seasons by Rinku Bhattacharya Review


This cookbook combines her two great loves -- Indian cooking and sustainable living -- to give readers a simple, accessible way to cook seasonally, locally and flavourfully. Inspired by the bounty of local produce, mostly from her own backyard, Rinku set out to create recipes for busy, time-strapped home cooks who want to bring Indian flavours to nutritious family meals. Arranged in chapters from appetizers through desserts, the cookbook includes everything from small bites, soups, seafood, meat, poultry and vegetables, to condiments, breads and sweets. You will find recipes for tempting fare like Mango and Goat Cheese Mini Crisps, Roasted Red Pepper Chutney, Crisped Okra with Dry Spice Rub, Smoky Roasted Eggplant and Tomato Puree and Red Harvest Masala Cornish Hens, to name a few. As exotic and enticing as these recipes sound, the ingredients are easily found and the instructions are simple.Includes: Over 15 recipes, mostly gluten-free and Vegetarian / Vegan; Gluten-free / Vegetarian / Vegan recipes are clearly labelled; Helpful sections on spices, ingredients and utensils; Tips and tricks for getting the best results and green tips for making your kitchen eco-friendly; Colour photographs for each recipe. 
My Review:

This was a really interesting look at how to grow food and cook it in a way that you get the most out of the crop. I really liked that I was able to make some of the winter recipes and that the ingredients are easy to find this time of year. I was so happy that the back of the book had an ingredient index! I love that when I buy something at the store, and come home and find a recipe asap. I also really think that it was nice to describe spices. A lot of spices are touch and go and it is hard to measure them at times. I am giving this book a 4/5. I was given a copy to review from PR By The Book, however all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment