Saturday, January 24, 2015

Elementary Educ 101: What They Didn’t Teach You in College By Gretchen E. Schultek Review


Elementary Educ 101: What They Didn’t Teach You in College
By Gretchen E. Schultek
Publisher: Outskirts Press
Published: August 27, 2014
ISBN: 978-1478711865
Genre: Elementary Education
Your first year as a teacher is full of exciting moments and of course some blunders. Why not decrease the likelihood of encountering these blunders by reading this book and learning from my experiences in an elementary school classroom? Here’s to wishing you a successful first year teaching and beyond!
Gretchen Schultek is a general education teacher of 8 years. She has taught grades 2, 3, and 5 at both low and high performing elementary schools in Charlotte, North Carolina. In 2006, she received her Bachelor’s degree from Marist College in Poughkeepsie, New York. In 2010, she received her Master’s degree in Curriculum and Supervision from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Gretchen attained National Board Certification as an Early Childhood Generalist in 2012. She is passionate about educating the whole student so that they are best prepared to be successful both in and outside the classroom. “ELEMENTARY EDUC 101” is Gretchen’s first published book and she is currently in the process of writing a children’s book.
My Review;
This was a book that I wish I had before I did my student teaching, not so much before I teach my own class. There are tips on grading, landing a job, parents, data, etc. There is so much info in this book in a nice format. The info is grouped by chapter and then in an outline style. I also really liked the chapter on being a professional. This is a great book to have on hand for tough days, especially the "joke" section at the end. I am giving this book a 4/5. I was given a copy to review from the author via Book Review Buzz, however all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment