Saturday, January 18, 2014

Gabriela and The Widow by Jack Remick Review

“The year the war ended, Gabriela led her sick mother out of Tepeñixtlahuaca. The bones of the villagers still had meat on them then and the hearths still had fire in them but the retreating soldiers had chased away the skinny dogs and burned the houses. Scattered in the jungle, the bodies of young women had been left to rot. The young men had been killed or turned into soldiers who had, in their own time, committed atrocities.” (via the authors website)
My review:
This book made me feel a lot of different emotions. At first I was mad at what Gabriela had to witness. Then I felt bad for her when she had no family left. Then I worried that Gabriela was with a lady that had dementia and I had no idea what the old lady would do next. I was also drawn to the old lady and had to read the rest of her story, or at least what she wanted Gabriela to know. This book had a little bit for every one. There was drama, myths, mystical creatures, and loss. If someone told me the ending I would not believe them. The author did a fantastic job of weaving the lives of these two women into one. I am giving this book a 5/5. I was given a copy to review from Orangeberry Book Tours, however all opinions are my own.

2 comments:

  1. sounds like a great book I will have to put this on my list to read Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello vicjbr: thank you for this great close reading of Gabriela and The Widow. Readers such as you who take the time to get close to her make the writer's job meaningful. Thank you again. Jack Remick

    ReplyDelete