Friday, May 17, 2013

The Torment, The Shadow, The Heart by T.M. Shannon

Genre: Epic/Heroic Fantasy
Publisher: Self-published through CreateSpace.com
Release Date: 11 February, 2013

Book Description:

"To a kingdom facing darkness, a Hero will come..."

As the King of Talbadas nears his end, and treasonous parties seek to usurp the throne, young farmer Halm Dresden finds that his father's dying advice, the actions of two elves, and a nightmare vision have put him on a destined path. While impressionable youth and some of his friends join this treacherous league, Dresden has a sword made and prepares for looming conflict...


Biography

I work full time, pay rent, and have a head full of ideas. I'm currently living the dream in Sydney, Australia with my darling other half, and a 99% well-behaved son.

With a love of books, movies, video games, and an interest in all things medieval (especially since finding the Kunst des Fechten in general and the Hans Talhoffer Fechtbuch aus dem Jahre 1459 & 1467 [15th century Fight manuals]), I've dreamed of writing for years.

Currently self-published, The Torment, The Shadow, The Heart is my first novel, and part of my first Fantasy series. Once I'm settled with the sequel to TSH, however, I have more than enough story ideas in mind to continue on my fantasy bent, and enter other fictional areas as well.
My Review:
This is the first book in the Hero of Talbadas series. It is also the author's first novel. With that being said, the author mainly focused on setting up the fantasy world in this book. The book is mostly about Talbadas and it's description. Once the Hero is introduced I immediately knew he was an important character. The author definitely spent a lot of time telling the reader about him. I can understand that the author wanted to set the scene for the rest of the series, but I felt like the book was mostly description. I can not wait for the next book, and I hope it will have more action. 
I loved the elves, and all the beings that were in this book. It was definitely entertaining, and I could probably draw a map and pictures, due to the author's awesome descriptions.
I am giving this book a 3/5. I was given a copy to review, however all opinions are my own.  

Join The Torment, The Shadow, The Heart online:
Like it on Facebook facebook.com/TheTormentTheShadowTheHeart 
Rate and review it on Goodreads goodreads.com/book/show/17379773-the-torment-the-shadow-the-heart
Read the History of Talbadas historyoftalbadas.blogspot.com.au
Follow the Author t.m.shannon-author.blogspot

5 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Thank you for the spot and review, it is greatly appreciated.

    Yes, TSH has flaws as my first book, and yes, I am introducing a rich, wonderful world. That you could draw a picture or a map is great news - I was aiming for a visual narrative. And peaking of maps, I will soon have one on the Hero of Talbadas blog, and in future releases.

    It's my hope to have Volume 2 released in October. It will definitely have more action.

    Cheers,
    T.M. Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for hosting today :-)
    Great Post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the helpful review, sounds like a wonderful debut novel:)

    ReplyDelete