Sunday, May 26, 2013

Life's Rhythms by Vickie Johnstone Review


Life's Rhythms

Old meets new in this collection of 316 haiku, composed in the traditional pattern of three lines with 5-7-5 syllables. Subjects include: nature, life, food, animals, loss, love, longing, hope, the seasons, dreams and time. I like creating little words that paint a picture for the reader.
Published in June 2012.

I liked this book, and reading it relaxed me. The poems were written in a way that they flowed together nicely. I read the whole book in one sitting, and they were all positive. They author uses nature and humor in her poems as well. They were all haikus and some were straight forward while others were more abstract.
I did not like that there were not chapters and I didn't know what theme I was reading. However the poems were written very well and I am going to use this as a coffee table book! It is great for chatting. I also think that this would be a great book club book. The members could write their own poems each week. As I read the poems I definitely got pictures in my mind of birds chipping and wind blowing. This was my favorite poem:
Paw prints in the snow
Whiskers watches from the wall
White envelops all.
We definitely had a lot of snow this year!
I am giving this book a 4/5. I was given a copy to review, however all opinions are my own!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! I'm really happy you enjoyed the book. I love writing haiku - they're like little pictures :)This one is my favourite -

    Some distant day she’ll
    Return when she sees beauty
    In a rainbow sing

    :)) Vickie

    ReplyDelete