Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Brush of Angel's Wings by Ruth Reid book review

This is not normally the type of book I read. However my mom loves these books, and she read a copy of this book the same time I did, and I thought it would be fun to have a mini book group. I also wanted to see how we each review the book. I received this ook on behalf of booksneeze, but all opinions are my own.
I really liked the story because it had an angel in it, and was a very nice romantic story. I also found it interesting that there was also a devilish spirit that tried to go against the angel. I liked this because it reminded me of the truth that everyone has a conscious that tells you good or bad. This was a heaven on earth book and I would have loved to read the first in the series. However this book stands on its own.
I also found it interesting to read about the Amish life style. I also liked how there was an outside visitor that wanted to become amish. It was interesting to see his struggle to leave electricity and the world as I know it.
There were so many things going on in this book. One of the main themes was the loss of the son of the house. The main character is his sister. She struggles to help on the farm and help her dad as best as she could. Like every good story a baby is born and someone dies. I did not expect a second person to die in the book. I understand that it made for the ending of the book. I just wish that it didn't have to happen.
I also thought that the use of Pennsyvania Dutch was a little too much. There is a glossary that tells you what the words mean. I just wish that there was a little less of it in the book.
The book also states that it "Includes reading group guide". I wish that the guide was longer then 13 questions.
All in all I think that it was a very nice story.

No comments:

Post a Comment