Book Details:
Book Title: Delaware Keepers / Life at the Edge of the Sea by Dave Tabler
Category: Adult Non-Fiction, 224 pages
Genre: History
Publisher: Dave Tabler
Publication Date: June 1, 2026
Content Rating:G: no bad language, no sex scenes
Book Description:
Delaware Keepers is a bottom-up social history of the men and women who tended Delaware's lighthouses from the colonial beacon at Cape Henlopen in 1769 through the automation era of the 1940s. Its central argument is a deliberate inversion of a familiar image. The popular lighthouse keeper—the bearded hermit slowly losing his sanity in storm-battered isolation—is, in Tabler's words, "dead wrong." Drawing on newspaper archives, government and inspection records, and family papers, the book reconstructs keeping not as a story of madness and solitude but of community, family life, civic engagement, and quiet professionalism.
The book opens on its thesis in miniature: keeper George W. Duncan celebrating his 37th wedding anniversary at the Port Penn Range Light in 1907, surrounded by forty guests and a brass band—a federal employee at the center of community life rather than its lonely edge. Delaware's compact geography makes the case plausible: short coastline, numerous inland waterways, and stations often within walking distance of town, with even offshore posts like Fourteen Foot Bank deliberately crewed by three men to forestall the very isolation the myth romanticizes. Tabler doesn't flatten the picture, though—remote, icebound posts like Mahon's Light and Reedy Island could genuinely isolate, and the work carried real risk from storms, wrecks, and accidents.
Across sixteen chapters organized into five chronological parts, the narrative traces keeping as it emerged as an occupation, matured into a respected federal career, and then vanished under automation:
- Founding the Lights (1769–1850s) — colonial origins, John and Elizabeth Dickerson at the first Cape Henlopen beacon, and Abraham Hargis writing desperate letters to Thomas Jefferson about inadequate pay.
- Forging a Network (1850s–1880s) — the lights through the Civil War and the professionalization of keeping into a genuine career.
- The Golden Age of Keeping (1880s–1940s) — the profession at its height, its costs, and its public visibility.
- The End of an Era (1940s–1970s) — automation and the disappearance of the resident keeper.
- Preserving the Legacy (1970s–present) — how families and communities carry the memory forward.
The human thread runs throughout: Hannah Hill dragging a boat across broken ice to fetch a doctor for her ailing husband; Irvin and Janie Lynch raising eight children at Mahon's Light; the Spencer children at Liston Range, for whom a station with no plumbing or central heat was simply home. The closing chapters turn to memory itself—how granddaughter Penny Czerwinski turns Dorothy Lynch Morris's recollections into classroom presentations (complete with Toby, the coal-chute-riding pig), and how preservation has shifted from maintaining structures to transmitting living culture.
Beyond maritime history, the book frames larger questions: how skilled occupations earn legitimacy and respect, what happens to experienced workers when technology renders them "unnecessary," how communities lose institutional memory when federal employees vanish from daily life, and why we mythologize obsolete professions while forgetting the people who actually performed them. It positions itself not as a technical catalog of lighthouses—those exist—but as a recovery of the keepers as real, embedded, civic human beings.
Buy the Book:
Broadway Books ~ BAM
add to goodreads
Ten year old Dave Tabler decided he was going to read the 'R' volume from the family's World Book Encyclopedia set over summer vacation. He never made it from beginning to end. He did, however, become interested in Norman Rockwell, rare-earth elements, and Run for the Roses.
Tabler's father encouraged him to try his hand at taking pictures with the family camera. With visions of Rockwell dancing in his head, Tabler press-ganged his younger brother into wearing a straw hat and sitting next to a stream barefoot with a homemade fishing pole in his hand. The resulting image was terrible.
Dave Tabler went on to earn degrees in art history and photojournalism despite being told he needed a 'Plan B.'
Fresh out of college, Tabler contributed the photography for "The Illustrated History of American Civil War Relics," which taught him how to work with museum curators, collectors, and white cotton gloves. He met a man in the Shenandoah Valley who played the musical saw, a Knoxville fellow who specialized in collecting barbed wire, and Tom Dickey, brother of the man who wrote 'Deliverance.'
In 2006 Tabler circled back to these earlier encounters with Appalachian culture as an idea for a blog. AppalachianHistory.net today reaches 375,000 readers a year.
Dave Tabler moved to Delaware in 2010 and became smitten with its rich past. He no longer copies Norman Rockwell, but his experience working with curators and collectors came in handy when he got the urge to photograph a love letter to Delaware's early heritage.
It turned out to be the start of something. Tabler has since written Delaware Before the Railroads, Delaware from Railways to Freeways, Delaware from Freeways to E-Ways, Delaware at Christmas, Delaware Behaving Badly, and Delaware Keepers.
Interview
1. What literary pilgrimages have you gone on?
The most recent one happened in my own backyard. The State of Delaware preserves John Dickinson's boyhood mansion on the St. Jones River, about twenty minutes from my home in Dover. Dickinson was a colonial giant. He served as president of Delaware, then as president of Pennsylvania, and he was a delegate to both the Continental Congress and the Constitutional Convention of 1787. Not many men can claim they governed two states. His contemporaries admired him as a man of exceptional character and intellect, though his cautious, conciliatory temperament left moderates praising him and radicals fuming.
What drew me to Dickinson's home was a single room. The state has recreated his study there, and on its writing table sit facsimile pages of his “Letters from a Farmer in Pennsylvania,” twelve essays published in 1767 and 1768 under a pseudonym. He actually penned them at his desk in Philadelphia, but this study is where the man behind the Farmer took shape. Writing in a reasoned voice that appealed to law and history, Dickinson argued that Parliament had no right to tax the colonies without their consent. The essays laid intellectual groundwork for the Revolution years before anyone fired a shot.
The study Delaware presents is a modest corner chamber with white plaster walls, wide plank floors, and two framed maps for decoration. A slant-front walnut desk stands open against the wall, its pigeonholes stuffed with rolled papers. On the writing table nearby sit a quill, a leather document roll, and those pages in Dickinson's crowded cursive. Everything about the space says small and quiet. That is the very antithesis of the mind that spun out these essays, and standing there, the contrast is what stays with you. A room this plain produced arguments that rattled an empire.
2. What is the first book that made you cry?
Flaubert's “Madame Bovary.” I read it as a teenager, at an age when I was desperate to find any kind of romance in my own awkward world, so Emma's anguish went straight through me. She is trapped in a stultifying marriage without a flicker of passion in it, and I wanted badly for her to find what she was starving for. Instead she spirals. The playboys use her and toss her aside. The village wags scorn her. Every door she tries is already bolted shut. By the time she swallows the arsenic, the act feels less like a choice than a destination, and that inevitability is what stayed with me. Flaubert never raises his voice once in the whole novel. He just closes the doors, one by one, and lets you watch.
3. Does writing energize or exhaust you?
It depends on the day. My daily goal when writing a book is 1,000 words. Simple number. Reasonable number. A number any functioning adult with a keyboard should be able to hit. Some days the 1,000 words pour out and I knock off early feeling like Hemingway. Those days energize me. Other days I spend nine hours arm-wrestling a single paragraph, and I stagger away from the desk with 494 words to show for it. Every writer knows this push-me-pull-you. The word count measures the writing. It has absolutely no idea what the writing costs.
4. What is your writing Kryptonite?
Lately it's the public conversation around writers and AI. I'm in the camp that isn't terrified of the technology, and I don't believe using it compromises a writer's integrity. I don't use it for push-button writing. I use it to sort out ideas and for technical chores like mechanical proofreading. What wears me down is the assumption that any writer who touches it must be cutting corners.
The uproar reminds me of the chaos Photoshop caused in commercial photography when it first appeared. Earlier in my life, in a different career, I worked with Al Francekevich as a client. He was a classically trained New York commercial photographer, originally known as a leader in special effects work done entirely in camera. When digital tools reshaped the field, he made a decisive pivot. He treated Photoshop as an expanded creative language and moved from single-frame problem solving to layered compositing, digital painting, and graphic color work, producing images no camera alone could record. His evolution from purist technician to digital experimenter helped bridge the gap between film-era craftsmanship and photo-illustration. He died at 87, still respected as a forward thinker.
The fears about AI, what it is, what it can do, who it will replace, will sort themselves out the way the Photoshop panic did. Writers who embrace the change on their own terms will survive it, the way Francekevich did in the photography field.
5. Did you ever consider writing under a pseudonym?
So far, no. Pseudonyms are useful if you need to hide your identity, which I don't. They're useful if you write in multiple styles whose audiences would disapprove of you if they knew you wrote for the other camp. And they're probably useful if you're known for one style and want to dip your toe into a new direction without committing to it. None of those situations applies to me, so my books go out under my own name.
That said, I'll tip my hat to the finest pseudonym in American history, which belongs to the man whose study I described a few questions back. When John Dickinson took aim at Parliament, one of the most celebrated lawyers in Philadelphia signed himself “A Farmer.” The disguise let his arguments stand on their own, and readers across the colonies took a plain farmer's word over what they might have dismissed as a rich attorney's special pleading. Proof that a pseudonym, used well, can do real work.
6. What other authors are you friends with, and how do they help you become a better writer?
I'm kind of a lone wolf. Always have been. I don't hang out with other authors, and I don't belong to a writing circle. I'm not anti-social, I just keep my own company. My teachers have been the books themselves. Reading the greats has always done more for my writing than any workshop could, and in Delaware history that means writers like John Munroe, Carol Hoffecker, W. Emerson Wilson, and Bill Frank. Munroe showed how scholarly rigor and readable prose can live in the same book. Hoffecker proved that a city's ordinary neighborhoods deserve the same careful attention as its mansions. Wilson and Frank were newspapermen who wrote history in columns, and they taught me that a Delaware story lands hardest when it's told plainly, at human scale. All four set the standard I write toward.
7. Do you want each book to stand on its own, or are you trying to build a body of work with connections between each book?
Both. Every book I write begins with the word “Delaware,” and each one stands on its own. But the connective tissue running through all of them is a single idea: this small piece of land has produced thousands and thousands of fascinating stories over the centuries. Carl Hiaasen works this way with Miami. Alice Munro did it with rural southwestern Ontario. There's a real discipline in limiting yourself to a sphere that looks constrictive to the outside world and then diving deep in that arena. It's much harder than jumping around geographically and thematically. Young writers often want to show the world how flexible they are. Look at me! I can write in any genre! But the world isn't asking whether you're flexible. It wants to know your specialty. What is it that only YOU can bring to the table?
8. What authors did you dislike at first but grew into?
Dickens, for sure. I had to read “Great Expectations” in high school and punted. Cliff's Notes carried me through that assignment. Then about a dozen years ago I saw a live stage version of “A Christmas Carol,” and the show program mentioned that Dickens often wept aloud while writing it. That stopped me cold. I realized my high school quarrel had been with the 1840s British prose style, and I'd let the style hide the man. Dickens had no way to know his work would one day sit atop the pile of English language novels. He was a man working through his demons at a writing desk. After the show I picked up “Great Expectations” and read it again. Dickens shows us how easily people wound the ones they love, and how hard, yet how necessary, forgiveness becomes. Decades of actual living confirmed those lessons. They were there in plain sight all along, invisible to a sixteen-year-old who hadn't traveled any of life's hard roads yet.
9. What's your favorite under-appreciated novel?
Can I confess to being shaped at least as much by the short story as by the novel? Who, what, when, where, why. It's probably what drew me to journalism. My wife and I kept a subscription to “Story” magazine for years, and we'd regularly read a story aloud to each other in the evenings. The one that influenced me most is O. Henry's “The Gift of the Magi.” A wife cuts off her long hair and sells it to buy a gold chain for the pocket watch her husband prizes. He, meanwhile, has sold the watch to buy combs for her beautiful hair. Readers today file it under quaint Christmas sentiment, and I think that's why it goes overlooked. Look again at the machinery underneath. Two people acting out of pure love, and each one's sacrifice cancels the other's gift. History is like this: the best intentions often go bad.
10. As a writer, what would you choose as your mascot/avatar/spirit animal?
Ha! The very thought makes me cringe, because I already tried it once, and it bombed terribly. In junior high school the most popular boy in French class was a guy named Herbert. On his backpack he declared, in bold letters, “Air Bear.” Say “Herbert” with a French accent and you'll hear it: air-BEAR. The class thought this was genius. I was nowhere near as clever as Herbert, but I desperately wanted to be. So on MY backpack I scribbled “Hot Shot Ocelot.” French class looked at me blankly. Within weeks I was begging my parents for a new backpack. I haven't attempted a spirit animal since.
11. How many unpublished and half-finished books do you have?
One book is nearly done and sitting with my editor as we speak. It traces Delaware innkeeping from the colonial tavern to the corporate hotel brand, and it should release in June 2027. Beyond that, two more are on the drawing board. One is about Delaware's oystermen, the men who dredged the bay when oysters were called white gold. The other follows the evolution of Delaware's medical system, which owes a surprising debt to the mosquito. Disease-bearing mosquitoes thrived in Delaware's marshes and drove the state to confront illness early. Delaware formed the third state medical society in the nation, and I suspect the mosquito deserves much of the credit.
12. What did you edit out of this book?
Anything that lacked a named Delaware person at its center. My research files for “Delaware Keepers” were full of material I found genuinely interesting: wage statistics from the depression year of 1894, a Smyrna Times piece on channel dredging and the politics of lighthouse construction, even a reprinted British joke about a schoolboy who wanted to be a keeper so he could watch the wrecks go to pieces below. All of it hit the cutting room floor, and for the same reason. Statistics are anonymous. Dredging is about Congress. And the joke was the myth of lighthouse keeping, morbid romance viewed from a safe distance, which is exactly what this book works to strip away.
The cut that hurt was a 1908 news item about Mahon's Light, a station so isolated by snow and flood that the government finally installed a telephone. The reporter had fun with it: the snowbound keeper, hemmed in by ice with his food running short, could now ring up a Dover hotel and hear the dishes rattle as each course of a big dinner was served. I love that image. It stayed in the manuscript through two drafts. But the keeper in the story is nobody in particular, a hypothetical man invented for a newspaper's amusement, and my rule for this book was firm. The towers are the monuments. The people are the history. If I couldn't put a documented name at the center of a story, the story went. Even the ones that made me laugh.
13. If you didn't write, what would you do for work?
I answered that question for thirty years. I was an agent for commercial artists and photographers in New York City. It was a fun career, until it wasn't. In my twenties and thirties, the fresh young talent coming up was my age, and it felt like we were all on parallel paths to the same destination. By my fifties, the fresh young talent were my children's age. Not so fun. At this point, if I didn't write, I wouldn't chase yet another career. I'd probably do typical retiree things, gardening and travel. But my health is good and my brain is still intact, so writing is the thing!
14. Do you hide any secrets in your books that only a few people will find?
I'm not that kind of writer. No hidden ciphers, no Easter eggs. But I do love the way Agatha Christie handles hints and allegations, planting everything in plain view and letting the reader walk past it. That has probably seeped into how I present a segment, and so has the surprise-ending motif I absorbed from decades of reading short stories. So I suppose any secrets I hide live in the lead-up to the final punchline, where the pieces sit in the open, waiting for the last sentence to snap them together.
There's an example in “Delaware Keepers.” The chapter on Hannah Hill opens with a teaser: one winter night in 1937 she dragged a boat across broken ice at Reedy Island to find a doctor for her seriously ill husband, the keeper. Thirteen years later she sat before a congressional hearing, making the case for pension benefits for keepers' widows. Then I make the reader wait. The chapter walks through her twenty-seven years as a keeper's wife, the isolated stations, the losses, and finally the full account of that crossing, before her testimony lands in a single line: “There was nobody but the two of us.” By then the reader knows exactly what those eight words cost her. Not every story in a history book lends itself to that telling. When one does, I take the shot.
15. What is your favorite childhood book?
“The Runaway Bunny” by Margaret Wise Brown. A little bunny keeps announcing he'll run away, and his mother calmly answers that she will follow him wherever he goes. If he becomes a fish, she'll be a fisherman. If he becomes a bird, she'll be the tree he comes home to. As a child I couldn't have told you why the book held me the way it did. Now I can. Every child secretly wants to test the question: if I left, would you still want me? The book runs that test over and over, and the answer is always yes. A few years back I read it aloud to my ten-year-old niece, and this time the mother's side of the story ambushed me. She never begs him to stay. She just promises to find him, and the adult reading aloud knows what the child listening doesn't: the day comes when you can't follow. That little book got to me at five, and it got to me all over again at the other end of life, years before and years after Flaubert ever got to me.
connect with the author: website ~ X ~ facebook ~ pinterest ~ instagram ~ goodreads
.png)



No comments:
Post a Comment