Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Masked Intentions: A Camera Club Mystery by Kara Lacey Review, Interview, Book Sale & Giveaway

 

Masked Intentions: A Camera Club Mystery by Kara Lacey

About Masked Intentions

 

Masked Intentions: A Camera Club Mystery

Cozy Mystery

2nd in Series

Setting - Vermont

Publisher ‏ : ‎ Level Best Books 

Publication date ‏ : ‎ January 27, 2026 

Print length ‏ : ‎ 270 pages

Paperback ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 979-8898200619 

ASIN ‏ : ‎ B0GJJKL34G

Digital ASIN ‏ : ‎ B0GGM6PLJN

goodreads badge

It’s autumn in Vermont, and the mountains are ablaze with color, just in time for Stonebridge’s annual harvest festival. The village is swarming with leaf-peeping tourists, and the celebration is off to a jubilant start as residents gather for their favorite kick-off event: a masquerade party on the village green. But the crisp fall air turns chilling when a party guest is found lifeless and another is whisked away in an ambulance, on the verge of death.

Photographer Bobbie Brooks vows to leave the investigation to the professionals until a tearful plea from a friend causes her to shift her focus from merriment to murder. The Stonebridge Keep it Snappy Shutter Club is on another case as Bobbie plunges into the world of herbal poisons and masked motives. The truth is concealed in the details captured through her lens. But as everything comes into focus, Bobbie finds herself in danger once again. Can she unmask the killer before the killer zooms in on her?

About Kara Lacey

Kara Lacey is the author of the Camera Club Mysteries. Along with her husband, she lives in a tiny village nestled in the beautiful Green Mountains of Vermont—the inspiration for her novels. Kara is a photography enthusiast who also enjoys hiking, skiing, and getting cozy with a good book. When she’s not at her laptop creating havoc for her characters, you can find her rambling through the forest with her husband and spirited Labrador retriever, camera in hand.

Kara is a member of Sisters in Crime, Sisters in Crime-New England.

Author Links

Purchase Links - Amazon - Bookshop.org - B&N - Kobo

the first book in my series (Caught on Camera) is on sale for 99 cents through August 21.

Caught on Camera: A Camera Club Mystery - Kindle edition by Lacey, Kara. Mystery, Thriller & Suspense Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.


My Review:
There are a few reasons while I liked this story. I really enjoyed the leaf peepers! I am in Connecticut and know all about beautiful fall leaves and weather. I also know about how people travel just to see the leaves changing colors! I can only imagine how beautiful Vermont must be. The author did a great job describing Vermont. I also could relate to being an avid photographer and love the "Camera Club"! Pictures make for great evidence. My hubby has a photography blog and I could tell that the author knows the lingo. I wanted to go to the harvest festival and experience everything fall. I wanted to go to the masquerade ball. Fall is my favorite season and the author brought everything about fall into this great cozy mystery. I did not expect who the killer was, nor did I expect what they were hiding. They were definitely hiding behind their mask. What a great fast read with a great ending. I loved the fall setting. I also liked that the author put a note in the back of the book to let the reader know that the next installment of the camera club will take place during the winter holidays. I am giving this book a  5/5. I was given a copy, however all opinions are my own. 

Interview:

1. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
First, I want to say thank you for having me here today!
I’ve wanted to be a writer since the fifth grade, but I didn’t get serious about it until seven years ago.
2. How long does it take you to write a book?
That’s hard to say. I publish one book a year, but I started the first one about five years before it was published. The second one was in the works before that, and the third one was nearly written by the time the second was published. I’d guess that each book takes me about eighteen months start to finish, but there’s overlap between drafting one book while revising another.
3. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
My schedule varies. I usually start writing in mid-morning. If I’m drafting, I’ll be good for a couple of hours before needing a break. If I’m revising, I often forget to eat lunch. Unless I’m trying to meet a deadline, I write or revise for only three to four hours a day. I spend the rest of my day on marketing—social media posts, newsletters, Facebook takeovers, blog posts…
4. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I can’t write with music playing. Oddly, though, I can write while sitting in the same room as my husband, who’s watching television. Also, I don’t snack while writing.
5. How do books get published?
There are many avenues to publishing. I went the traditional agent-to-publisher route. There are advantages and disadvantages no matter how you do it. I’m completely open to exploring self-publishing for future projects.
6. Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
For my current series, my ideas came mostly from my surroundings and my imagination. Since my stories take place in the present day, in a fictional village based on where I live, I get my ideas from things happening around me. Much of my information (research) is done on the internet or by talking to people who have knowledge about the topic I’m researching.
7. When did you write your first book and how old were you?
I started writing my first book about seven years ago, and I was old enough to take early retirement from my job. 
8. What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I enjoy photography, reading, hiking, getting together with my family, and eating out. Unfortunately, I don’t enjoy cooking…
9. What does your family think of your writing?
For the most part, I think they enjoy the fact that I’m a published author. They also enjoy reading my books. I’m an empty nester, so my husband is the only person my writing affects on a daily basis. He’s supportive, though I suspect there are times he’d rather we do something together.
10. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
That writing is not a solo endeavor. I’ve met so many wonderful, supportive people—both writers and readers who have helped me along the way and whom I now consider friends.
11. How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
I’ve written three books, all in my Camera Club Mystery series. To date, only two have been published. The third is due out this fall. It’s hard to say which is my favorite. Maybe my third one?
12. Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?
The best way to improve your writing is to write a lot and read a lot. The importance of critique partners and beta readers can’t be stressed enough. First drafts tend to be messy, so be open to criticism and don’t be afraid to revise (and revise and revise).
Another possibly weird way I improved my prose was byreading and learning to write poetry. My poetry is terrible, but that wasn’t the point of the exercise. Poetry taught me a great deal about word choice and rhythm. If you feel like your prose doesn’t flow, learning just a little about poetry is worth a try.
13. Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?
Yes, I do. Most often, they ask when my next book will come out. Some request to be included in my team of early readers. Occasionally, I’ll get an email from a reader who wants to share how much they enjoyed my book. 
One particularly heartwarming email came from a woman who’d attended one of my library events. She had to leave early but picked up my book to read while sitting with her mother, who was in the hospital. She wrote to thank me for providing an enjoyable escape during those difficult hours.
14. Do you like to create books for adults?
Yes. Adults need fun escapes with feel-good endings, too. That’s what I enjoy writing.
15. What do you think makes a good story?
There are so many elements that go into a good story, and prioritizing them is a personal choice. For me, a relatable protagonist is essential. They don’t need to be like me, but I need to be able tounderstand the choices they make. I need to care about them.
I also enjoy a setting I’d like to jump into and a community I’d like to be a part of. Interesting side characters keep the story fun. I want to either like them or like to dislike them (a story needs both).
In a mystery, a well-plotted puzzle isimportant. While the mystery should be the main plot, a good story will weave in subplots and details of the characters’ lives outside what is happening in the mystery.
16. As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
As a child, I wanted to be a writer or a teacher.
17. What Would you like my readers to know?
Although the Camera Club Mysteries feature a photographer protagonist and a camera club, the books are not about photography. Rather, the club brings together an eclectic group of characters who form unlikely friendships, and photography serves as a means to solve the murders. The stories are light, clean, and fun, starring a relatable middle-aged amateur sleuth. They are about family, friends, and my main character’s personal growth as she navigates her way through her new life in a tiny Vermont village. In each story, justice prevails, and there’s a feel-good ending.



TOUR PARTICIPANTS
August 12 – Jody’s Bookish Haven – SPOTLIGHT
August 12 – Sarandipity's CHARACTER INTERVIEW
August 12 – Books, Ramblings, and Tea – SPOTLIGHT
August 13 – Socrates Book Reviews – SPOTLIGHT
August 13 – Salty Inspirations – AUTHOR GUEST POST
August 13 – Sarcastically Yours, Jen – SPOTLIGHT
August 14 – View from the Birdhouse – REVIEW
August 14 – Baroness Book Trove – CHARACTER INTERVIEW
August 14 – Escape With Dollycas IntoA Good Book – SPOTLIGHT
August 15 – Book Hookup – REVIEW
August 15 – Christy's Cozy Corners – AUTHOR INTERVIEW
August 16 – Boys' Mom Reads! – SPOTLIGHT
August 16 – StoreyBook Reviews – SPOTLIGHT
August 17 – Romance Novel Giveaways – AUTHOR GUEST POST
August 17 – Sapphyria's Book Reviews – SPOTLIGHT
August 18 – Cozy Up With Kathy – REVIEW, CHARACTER GUEST POST
August 18 – FUONLYKNEW – RECIPE
August 19 – deal sharing aunt – REVIEW, AUTHOR INTERVIEW
August 19 – Reading Is My SuperPower – SPOTLIGHT

great escapes virtual book tours logo

Have you signed up to be a Tour Host? Click Here to Find Details and Sign Up Today! Want to Book a Tour? Click Here

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for reading and reviewing Masked Intentions. I'm so happy you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete