Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Jig Goes to the Zoo by Julia Kneeland and Illustrated by Rachael Budd Review



I really like Jig. The beginning is funny to me because I had Shih Tzu's and they also acted like they wanted to go to the zoo and that they liked bigger animals. Jig liked lions. I really liked that the author used words to learn, like habitat and used fun facts for the animals that were accurate. There was at least one fun fact per animal. Jig also has an adventure within an adventure and almost misses the bus. There are also a few other themes in this book. Animals living with people vs. how animals live in captivity for example. 

About Julia Kneeland:

​I am a retired elementary school teacher who loves to write! My first book I wrote was an illustrated biography about Thomas Hooker the founder of the Connecticut Colony. I currently work part time at Eastern Connecticut State University’s library. From the library’s collections I was able to research Thomas Hooker.

When I taught fifth grade language arts I would use my own writing as samples for my students. They loved it! I’m also a grandmother of two emerging readers. I decided to write a series of books that I hoped would inspire them to enjoy reading as much as I do. My first book of the series is Jig Gets Lost. It’s about a little dog with short short legs and long straight ears who lives in the city. One day he gets hungry and goes for a walk and follows his nose for some delicious smelling vendor’s foods. He has quite an adventure!

​I am now researching the African Americans in the Revolutionary War. I’m focusing on the Connecticut Colony. In the future I would like to write a book about my dad who grew up during the Great Depression. He and his brother Ken were out on their own from a very young age. They lived in Northern Maine and had many adventures of their own including surviving!

Illustrated by Rachael Budd

I am given this book a 5/5. it is so cute, I was given a copy, however all opinions are my own and the illustrations are lovely as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment