Thursday, April 28, 2016

Mystique by Shari Arnold Interview


Mystique by Shari Arnold
Publication Date:  November 17, 2015
Genre:  YA Paranormal


Only Bauer Grant can pull off gorgeous while dead. But staying dead is another thing entirely. When he wakes up at his own funeral, the town of Mystique calls it a miracle, until it happens again. Something is bringing the residents of Mystique back to life, but what? Presley Caine finds herself caught up in the mystery when Bauer asks her to visit him. Presley can’t figure out why the most popular guy in school is so drawn to her. And when Bauer is kidnapped soon after, she looks to Bauer’s brooding best friend Sam, whose dad works for the powerful Mystique military base, for answers. In her quest to discover the truth, Presley’s relationship with Sam deepens, her feelings for Bauer are tested, and it becomes clear that her own mysterious past is somehow connected to these strange events. But is she strong enough to handle the truth when it is finally revealed?




Shari Arnold grew up in California and Utah but now resides in Connecticut, with her husband and two kids, where she finds it difficult to trust a beach without waves. She writes Young Adult fiction because it's her favorite. And occasionally she takes photographs.

 Interview:

1.  When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
I’ve been telling stories for as long as I can remember. But it was just after my father passed away that it felt like the time had come to do the thing I’d been needing to do for a long time. I wrote my first novel, KATE TRIUMPH, and knew right then I wouldn’t be able to stop.
2.  How long does it take you to write a book?
It depends on the book. In the beginning it took me a really long time to get it right. I rewrote and rewrote again, changing from third person to first, past to present, and that nearly made me lose my mind. But now, once the door has opened and the story is flowing I can finish a book in about five months.
3.  What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
If I can get a few hours in during the week and then about four hours on a weekend, I’m good. That will continue for most of the book until I’m close to the end and then I can’t seem to stop until I’m done.
4.  What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
Music. I spend a lot of time listening to music and visualizing scenes. Most of my ideas come to me as I’m creating “trailers” in my mind.
5.  Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
They just happen. I wish I could explain where they come from. I’ve read Elizabeth Gilbert’s book, BIG MAGIC, and truly believe that the ideas just kind of float around until they find the right person. That’s the way it works for me at least.

6.  What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I have to be creating in some way. I take pictures, I recently became obsessed with Gelli Plating. And I like to be outside. When you’re a writer you spend way too much time inside.
7.  What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
Haha. That I could! I always longed to be a writer, but I never knew if I could do it. When I finished my first book, I was shocked people actually wanted to read it!
8.  How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
I’ve written three books currently. I’ve working on my fourth. It’s difficult to pick a favorite but I will say that every writer usually has a “book of their heart” and mine is NEVERLAND. I love Peter Pan stories and was terrified to write my own, but once the idea came to me I couldn’t not do it.
9.  Do you have any suggestions to help me become a better writer? If so, what are they?
Read. A. Lot. I truly believe that reading helps you write.
10.     Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?
I do hear from readers, but I wish I heard from them more. I love hearing their thoughts and feelings. Books make me feel. I get so excited when I read a book that touches me and so I’d love to hear more from readers.
11.     Do you like to create books for adults?
I am currently working on a women’s fiction novel. I’m super excited about it!!
12.     As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
Hmm. I had a list. Actress, famous roller skater, writer, anthropological archeologist, and of course, saver of the world.









No comments:

Post a Comment