Monday, March 3, 2014

9,000 Miles of Fatherhood by Kirk Millson Review


You can’t fix your kid until you fix yourself. That’s the message of 9,000 Miles of Fatherhood, a humorous and hair-raising tale of a four-month budget road trip through Latin America. Somewhere deep in Mexico, Kirk Millson acknowledged that his overbearing personality was responsible for his son’s low self-esteem. Respect became the word of the trip, and Peter responded.  Painfully timid and invisible to females on the way south, he was a confident spectacle on the trip home, mobbed by schoolgirls whenever he set foot outside the hotel room. The former D-student became a straight-A academic juggernaut, who returned to school so far ahead of his class that it never caught up. (Today he’s a college grad with degrees in biomedical engineering and chemistry).

Never preachy, this funny book still begs a serious question:  If Peter Millson’s amazing metamorphosis could occur amid crime, poverty and mayhem during a 9,000-mile journey to the End of the Road, why are so many kids struggling in their safe and comfortable U.S. homes?  Kirk Millson found the answer in the mirror.

My Review:
This book proves that children need their parents. Even if their parents are not sure of themselves, they children still need them. As I read this book I was reminded of certain things that I used to do with my dad. I would love to be able to spend one more mile with my dad, never mind 9000. There are certain things that a son can learn only from his father, and a daughter from her mother. This is a great book for any father with a teenage son. The ending was great and I would love to see a sequel with Kirk's grandson. There were so many different places and so many different things that Kirk and his son, Peter saw.  No matter where or how poor they were, they still had each other and a family bond that could not be broken. I am giving this book a 5/5. I was given a copy to review from the author, however all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment