Tuesday, January 8, 2019

The Gilded King by Josie Jaffrey Review


BOOK I in SOVEREIGN series
In the last city on Earth,

death is just a step into the trees.


In the Blue, the world's last city, all is not well.



Julia is stuck within its walls. She serves the nobility from a distance until she meets Lucas, a boy who believes in fairytales that Julia’s world can’t accommodate. The Blue is her prison, not her castle, and she’d escape into the trees if she didn’t know that contamination and death awaited humanity outside.


But not everyone in the Blue is human, and not everyone can be contained.


Beyond the city’s boundaries, in the wild forests of the Red, Cameron has precious little humanity left to lose. As he searches for a lost queen, he finds an enemy rising that he thought long dead. An enemy that the humans have forgotten how to fight.


One way or another, the walls of the Blue are going to come down. The only question is what side you’ll be on when they do.


About Josie
I have always written stories, but it wasn't until I started the first book in the Solis Invicti series in 2014 that I really became obsessed with writing. I love to read, particularly where the escapism of the story is enhanced with an element of fantasy or science fiction. For me, writing is simply an extension of that journey, but I get to decide what happens next (though it's amazing how often the characters seem to decide for themselves what I'm going to write!).

These days, bookishness has expanded to fill my life. I write novels and short stories (mostly Young Adult and Paranormal Romance), I blog and vlog about writing and the publication process, and I run a book review website called The Gin Book Club, which posts monthly video reviews (you can find the link in the menu above).

My Review:
This is book 1 in a series set in the last city on Earth. We have two points of view, Cam and Julia who is a slave. Cam is definitely not a slave, but plays an integral role in the plot. They were both great characters and I can not wait to read more about them in book 2. I did have an issue with this being being a part of the author's other series, and I felt as though I was missing the past. However this makes me want to read her other books. The ending left me wanting for the next book. I am not sure where these characters are headed, and I will definitely keep an eye out for other books by this author. There was swearing in the book. I also liked how the author used blood to make a statement against the silvers, it added an element of horror to the book. I am giving this book a 3/5. All opinions are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment