Saturday, September 10, 2016

I Ate a Cicada Today by Jeff Crossan Review

Based on a song of outrageous rhymes, I Ate a Cicada Today is a humorous children's picture book illustrated in ink and watercolor with an accompanying CD. Each two-page spread features a verse about a different animal or insect including such fanciful scenarios as "I peppered a leopard today" and "I hid a giant squid today." The CD is a guitar/vocal performance of the song by author/illustrator Jeff Crossan, who interjects each verse with a short spoken aside to provide added comic punch to the zany lyrics.
My Review:
This is a funny book for kids that has a bunch of random animals that are not really common for children's books. Like a squid or a moth. I also think that the rhymes were really well done. I could not rhyme with hippopotamus, but the author did! He also did it in a way that was fun and sounded good to say. Never mind that this book also comes with a cd that is great for parties and every day fun. The pictures also kept my interest. I liked the end. I did not expect the Cicada! I am giving this book a 5/5. I was given a copy to review however all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment