Friday, June 19, 2015

Fiction At My Fingertips by CS Reid Excerpt & Interview

Fiction At My Fingertips by CS Reid

fiction_characters_Updated(1)

“Lois Mc Allister typifies the voracious writer that I was when I was a child,” according
to CS Reid. “All YA writers have a childlike, inner voice that shines through their main characters. Lois personifies a brilliant, budding writer who acknowledges her eccentricities and her burgeoning, literary talents.”

Fiction At My Fingertips illustrates the narrative of Lois Mc Allister, a charismatic bibliophile, who is a voracious writer. Truth be told, narratives pour out of her being with ease and she recognizes that she is developing into a writer with a singular voice.
When her language arts teacher, Ms. Williams, informs the class that they will be,
submitting original narratives to a regional contest, Lois is catapulted into the stratosphere. However, an unfortunate mishap could derail Lois’ literary debut.

Excerpt:
Sylvia Ketchum was Lois’ best friend, and they were grateful that they were both classmates in Ms. Williams’ class.  They like to trade notes back and forth when          Ms. Williams had her back turned away from the class.  There was a completely different world going on under Ms. Williams’ nose, and she didn’t have a clue!  Lois thought, chuckling inwardly.                                                                                                             “What are you doing…for the second time?” Sylvia asked questioningly.                   “I am right in the midst of free writing.  I’m working on my short story, and you know it’s due tomorrow.  I’m on a roll…the images that I recall are spilling out onto the page like ripples coursing around a bend…” Lois bellowed, waving her hands in the air, mimicking a winding river.
“Well, I finished mine, already,” Sylvia said with glowing pride.                           “What do you want a medal?” Lois retorted, letting out an audible snort.              “No, I would prefer a pink Hello, Kitty backpack to add to my collection,”  replied Sylvia, smiling eagerly.                                                                                     “Seriously, Syl…what is your short story on?” Lois asked with an air of maturity.


CSReid7579718

CS Reid holds a MFA in Writing & Critical Theory from Otis College of Art & Design; M.Ed. in Cross-Cultural Teaching/English from National University.

Her work has appeared in diverse publications—most notably are: The Truth About the Fact: International Journal of Literary Nonfiction Anthology, Shadowtrain, Blue Fifth Review, Burner Magazine, and Monkeybicycle; chapbook, Walking Near the Precipice (Lily Press, 2007) and ebook, Intonations Heard in the Desert (Gold Wake Press, 2008); YA book, Plucking Poetry from the Air (Paraguas Books, 2010).

Reid is a freelance writer, educator, and Jazz composer/musician in Los Angeles, CA.

Get to know CS:
What inspired your book?
Lois Mc Allister is based off of my character.  Lois typifies the voracious writer that I was when I was a teen. There was a need for readers to read narratives that encourage
them (readers) to want to become actively involved in the writing process.  Fiction At My Fingertips encourages teens to acknowledge that their voices and opinions are worthy to be shared on the page.
Why did you pursue a writing career?
There is a “voice” infinitely circulating inside my being.  Essentially, I write to allow said voice to air itself via narratives that are identifiable and resonate a contemporary language to the YA reader.
Why are female characters important to you as an author?
Female characters are vital to the narratives that I compose.  Female readers need to be inspired to want to be creative and intelligent beings that are far more, than just supportive individuals, who have been relegated secondary positions.  It is integral that female readers are nurtured to explore all the avenues that are available to them; and to veer into areas that are foreign to females.  It is high time that females are afforded opportunities that display their brilliance and capabilities.
How long have you been publishing your work?
Essentially, I have been publishing my work since 2006.  I write in multiple genres:
poetry, fiction, YA, critical reviews (music/film/literary), playwriting, scriptwriting, and
songwriting.  It is my belief that all writers should challenge themselves and veer out of
their comfort zones by composing in diverse genres.
What’s your writing environment like?
My writing environment is my bedroom.  I have a huge L-shaped desk where I work at throughout the evening.  I have a 9-to-5 like most writers, so I work after I have taken a nap; and am able to focus on my projects with a clear mindset.  Also, I am the type of writer that can write anywhere; as long the environment is fairly, quiet.  Moreover, I always carry my journals with me everywhere and I transfer my writings to my laptop.
What are you most passionate about? What gets you fired up?
I am passionate about encouraging young people to develop an interest in writing.  Writing is a means to self-empowerment.
What projects are you currently working on?
Currently, I am wrapping up a YA narrative that centers on encouraging teens to want to study Jazz; and to learn about the exceptional artists that were the pioneers of this innovative art form.  Additionally, I am working on a short film that captures how survivors of a cataclysmic event, must adapt to their circumstances by implementing Spartan-like modes of behaviors.
Find the author and the book:
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/FictionAtMyFinterips
https://twitter.com/jazlitwhatevr

No comments:

Post a Comment