Sunday, December 21, 2014

Paradise Gardens by Susan I. Weinstein Review


Weinstein's PARADISE GARDENS is an Orwellian dystopia, set in a near future world where the Federal government has dissolved amid ecological breakdown. Corporate business flees to an underground colony, PARADISE GARDENS, the home of the United Business Estates (U.B.E). Left behind are the Unconnected, people outside corporate protection. In the U.B.E. employees are conceived as Superior or Average. Capitalism has devolved into feudalism. The novel is suspended between the settings of 2250 in New York City and 3011 in the Underground U.B.E. Chapters alternate with a revolving cast of characters determined by the Psychologicians, the priestly class that manages the civilization's data base. In this cautionary near-future, Upton Sinclair's classic It Can't Happen Here, has happened here. It is a vision at once strange and familiar. The recognition it brings is a dark pleasure.

My Review:
I just finished reading "Paradise Gardens" and it was an interesting story. I liked the story line and the characters are strong. This is the second book I have read by this author and I liked it as well. There was a lot going on in this book, like the cover. The author did a great job of creating a world to escape to. I give this book a 4/5. I was given this book for the purpose of a review and all opinions are my own.

1 comment:

  1. This was so useful, especially because the reviewer read both novels and seemed to like the complexity.

    ReplyDelete