Saturday, December 27, 2014

I Truly Lament by Mathias B. Freese Review

 

Description:

I Truly Lament—Working Through the Holocaust is a varied collection of stories: inmates in death camps; survivors of these camps; disenchanted Golems complaining about their designated rounds; Holocaust deniers and their ravings; collectors of Hitler curiosa (only recently a few linens from Hitler’s bedroom suite went up for sale!);  an imagined interview with Eva Braun during her last days in the Berlin bunker; a Nazi camp doctor subtly denying his complicity; and the love story of a Hungarian cantor, among others.
My Review:
I have heard and read a lot of stories about the Holocaust. This book is different because it is a collection of stories from different aspects of this tragedy. I had a lot of different emotions as I read them. I was sad for the victims and then I was so mad at the doctors. The Eva Braun interview was interesting to read what she might have said. The glossary of terms was helpful because there were a lot of words I did not know, like appell. The stories are short and easy to read, even though they are about something awful. The quotes in between the stories were very appropriate, and very thought provoking. My favorite was on page 173 "I was soul murdered early". I am giving this book a 4/5. I was given a copy to review, however all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment