Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Bleeding Heart by Liza Gyllenhaal Review



Liza Gyllenhaal has charmed readers with her gripping and deeply perceptive” (Ben Sherwood, Author of Charlie St. Cloud) novels. Now the author of A Place for Us brings us a captivating new story about a woman’s struggle to rebuild her life after scandal destroys her marriage.... After her accountant husband disappears with millions of dollars stolen from his company’s clients, Alice Hyatt flees New York City and moves to her family’s longtime summer home in a small town in western Massachusetts. There she begins to make a new start, reconnecting with old friends and finding peace and a growing sense of pride as a landscape architect. When extremely wealthy newcomer Graham Mackenzie asks her to design an elaborate garden for him, she can’t turn down the opportunity despite misgivings about Mackenzie’s energy company, which specializes in the controversial practice of fracking. But just as the project nears completion, she learns Mackenzie’s offer is not all that it seems. Once again, Alice finds herself embroiled in someone else’s crimes, this time putting her newfound success and possibly her life in jeopardy....

My Review:
I grew up in a Connecticut town not that far from Massachusetts and my grandmother had Bleeding Hearts all over her front yard. I have planted them all around my house. As I read through this story and the memories of Alice's youth and family summers reminded me of my youth. I loved the way the author described her surroundings and she definitely has a way wit words. I was pulled in and I had to know who she would end up with and whether or not her husband got caught. I also thought that the author did a great job adding fracking (which I have looked up) and an issue that is relevant for readers. Liza had me doing research and picking sides! I would love to read more from this author. I am giving this book a 5/5. I was given a copy to review from Night Owl Reviews, however all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment