Friday, August 29, 2014

With Every Breath by Elizabeth Camden Review

With Every Breath by Elizabeth Camden

In the shadow of the nation's capital, Kate Livingston holds a respectable position as a government statistician when she encounters a rival from her past, the insufferable Trevor McDonough. A Harvard-trained physician, Trevor never showed the tiniest flicker of interest in Kate, and she's bewildered at the way he suddenly seeks her out. Surprising even herself, Kate agrees to Trevor's entirely unexpected and risky proposal to work side-by-side with him in his quest to rid the world of tuberculosis, a contagious and deadly disease.

As Kate begins to unlock the mysteries of Trevor's past, she realizes there is much more to him than she could have imagined. His hidden depths may fascinate her, but his most closely guarded secrets and a shadowy enemy lurking in the background carry a serious threat to their future.

When the truth of the past comes out, threatening to destroy everything they hold dear, how will Trevor and Kate ever overcome all that stands in their way?
My Review:
I started reading Elizabeth Camden this past year or so, and I am so glad I did. This author rights about love stories that are affected by history. However she does not take a general war or era. She takes a specific cause and integrates the area, time period and characters seamlessly. I love that this book was about people trying to find a cure for an illness in a time before hospitals (at least not like what we think of today), and before such medical discoveries as tetanus vaccines, the pacemaker, and even before Aspirin. The author did a great job of keeping in the period and I learned a lot about what doctors and nurses went through to help others.
That is not all. This book also had a love story between 2 characters that seemed destined to be together. I am a competitive person and I was hoping that Kate would win the competition against Trevor. It was like reading an episode of Jeopardy. When they meet up again Trevor asks for her office skills and Kate is not sure she wants to go down that road again. Fate has other plans and these two souls end up working together. There are so many good moments in this book that I could go on forever. I do not want to spoil it. I do want to mention Trevor's secret though. It made me mad, like Kate, but it also made me respect him! I am giving this book a 5/5. I was given a copy to review from Bethany House, however all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment