Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Fallen Knight by Dana D'Angelo Interview


Historical Romance
Date Published: June 20, 2014

   
    For breaking the sacred vows of knighthood, Gareth de Mowbrey is banished to the outer realms of the kingdom. He is broken down and is plagued by the demons from his past. He has lost everything, his reputation is in shreds, and he is walking the path of self-destruction. That is, until he meets one woman who may have the power to save him from himself...

Clarisse de Servian knows that her duty is to marry the man that her family chooses for her. But even for the betterment of her people, she cannot bring herself to wed a man she does not love. She does however fall in love with a man who is forbidden to her, and for once she enjoys happiness. But this happiness is only fleeting, for Clarisse possess a dark secret that threatens to destroy her and everyone she loves.

Note: Although part 3 of the Knights of Honor Trilogy, this story can be read as a stand-alone book.


Dana D'Angelo

Dana is the only girl from a family of nine children. As a teenager, there was a constant battle for the T.V. remote, which she lost so she was forced to find her amusement in books. Soon after she discovered historical romance novels from best selling romance writers like Johanna Lindsay, Judith McNaught and Julie Garwood. She read as many as 10 romance books per week, and spent hours with her nose pressed between the pages, skipping meals and cutting out sleep. Medieval romance and love in the Regency era was just too exciting.
It wasn't until she was married with two young kids that she decided to take a stab at writing her own historical romance books. She is intrigued with the idea of writing romance fiction that could bring hours of enjoyment to readers, help them escape from reality, and perhaps remind them how sweet love is and should be. These are the things that she enjoys as a reader, and these are the things that she wants to give back as a writer.
Dana resides in a city east of TorontoCanada. When not writing or reading, she's dining at local restaurants with her husband and kids and enjoying the spectacular foods of the world.

Interview:
I’m so happy to be here today. Thanks so much for featuring me on your blog, Deal Sharing Aunt!

What inspired you to write your first book?
Your question makes me laugh because my first book was spurred partly by semi panic. You see, my youngest child was just about to enter kindergarten, and I didn’t want to go back to work. At the time, indie publishing was starting to flourish, and I thought that maybe I had a shot at writing stories for a living. Then with my husband’s blessing, I committed to penning my first novel. And since I’ve always liked medieval romances, it was a natural choice to start with this sub-genre.
 
Do you have a specific writing style?
I’ll venture to say that my writing style is my own. For many years I studied the art of writing. There were numerous biases and contradictions about how to write that I simply gave up trying to find the magic formula. These days I don’t follow any “rules”; I do what works for a story, and if a story warrants it, I’ll borrow elements from different genres. In my medieval romances, for example, I chose to incorporate elements such as action, adventure, suspense and fantasy. But since I’m writing historical romances, I do stick to the requisite happy endings. I know as a reader, I’d be quite upset if a romance story ended badly.

How did you come up with the title?
I knew beforehand that the theme for book 3 was about redemption. Brainstorming some titles, I came up with “Fallen Knight” and discovered that it fit the story perfectly.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
No, there isn’t a message in my novel. It’s just pure escapism where I take readers on an emotional and adventurous ride, and then wrap up the story with a satisfying conclusion.

How much of the book is realistic?
I researched the time period, and tried my best to create a believable medieval world, but everything else (ie. characters, towns and events) are make-believe.

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?
No, none of the experiences are based on anyone I know or from my personal life. The characters have their troubles and the way they react and feel are all imagined.

What books have most influenced your life most?
There was one book I read in high school, but for the life of me, I can’t recall the title or who wrote it. I just remember the story was about an anti-hero. He was the most despicable character who did the most awful things. But the writing was good and I couldn’t put it down. After the story was done, I felt terrible and hated the character so much. To this day, I can still recollect the sick feeling I got from reading that story. Now that I’m an author, I’ve consciously decided to write about likeable albeit flawed heroes and heroines. I’ve also decided that I want my readers to feel happy when they finished my books, not horrible and wondering about the state of humanity.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
Wow, this is a difficult question. I think every writer I’ve ever come across has different strength, and I could probably learn from each of them. But at this very moment, the writer that comes to mind is Robert Frost. He wrote poetry, I know, but I loved how he used words to paint pictures that were so vivid that it could stay in your mind for years. So yes, if I had a choice and he was still living, I’d choose him as a mentor and pick his brain thoroughly.

What book are you reading now?
Right now, I’m juggling two books: The Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, and Gavril of Aquina by Aurrora St. James.

What would you like my readers to know?
I would like to thank your readers for being life long book lovers. There truly is magic in stories, and I wish that they may continue to find it in each and every book they read. Just stay away for anti-hero stories lol



Twitter: twitter.com/DanaD_author

10 comments:

  1. Had fun! Thanks for having me, Deal Sharing Aunt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dana! Great Interview! Thanks for sharing.

    Barb
    Tartan Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb! Thanks for dropping by and commenting!

      Delete
  3. Great interview, Dana! Always nice to learn more about authors we enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amber! Oh yes, even though we all enjoy different things, authors and readers share the same interest in reading :)

      Delete
  4. I am a big fana of Dana's books! All her books are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dana. I always have to follow and read when you appear. I love your books and Fallen Knight is just the latest one I love.

    ReplyDelete