Monday, February 3, 2014

The Weight of a Feather and Other Stories by Judy Croome Review and Trailer


Title: The Weight of a Feather and Other Stories
Author: Judy Croome
Genre: Short Story anthology
Length: 200 pages
Publisher: Aztar Press; 1 edition (October 22, 2013)

Buy Links:



Synopsis:

“The promise implicit in an anthology is that it aspires to present something different, unexpected”  Joyce Carol Oates (Introduction to The Oxford Book of American Short Stories) 

From the classical form of ‘The Weight of a Feather’, first published by The Huffington Post (2013), to the suggestive allegory of ‘The Leopard and The Lizard’, this collection of short stories by South African author Judy Croome is an ideal mix of the familiar and the startling.

These vibrant slices of life testify to the mysterious and luminous resources of the human spirit. Whether feeling the harrowing emotion in ‘The Last Sacrifice’ or the jauntiness of ‘Jannie Vermaak’s New Bicycle’, the reader will delight in a plethora of stories that cross boundaries to both challenge and entertain with their variety.

Author Bio:

Judy Croome lives and writes in Johannesburg, South Africa. Shortlisted in the African Writing Flash Fiction 2011 competition, Judy’s short stories and poems have appeared in various magazines and anthologies, such as the Huffington Post and the University of the Witwatersrand’s Itch Magazine. Her books “The Weight of a Feather & Other Stories” (2013), “a Lamp at Midday” (2012) and “Dancing in the Shadows of Love” (2011) are available. Judy loves her family, cats, exploring the meaning of life, chocolate, cats, rainy days, ancient churches with their ancient graveyards, cats, meditation and solitude. Oh, and cats. Judy loves cats (who already appear to have discovered the meaning of life.)  She is currently researching child murders for her next novel and you can visit Judy on www.judycroome.com or join her on Twitter @judy_croome



Author Links:


My Review:
As I read some of these stories I was wondering when this author will be writing a horror novel. She has the same "twisted" sense that I have to compare to Stephen King. Some of my favorite Stephen King novels are the ones that are mentally disturbing, rather than blood and gore. Judy does the former really well. The Weight of a feather was really gross, but it was written in such a way that I liked it, and I was a vegetarian for 15 years. The other stories are written in the same style, however they did not have the same mental affect as the title story. I liked that they were all different lengths and I was able to read the whole book in one sitting. A Butterfly Kiss mad me sad, and it reminded me of my father daughter dance to Butterfly Kisses at my wedding. Some of the stories are based on a simple inanimate object, and Judy turns it into a compelling story that you keep thinking about long after you are done reading the book (The Fan, etc). I could see these stories being made into movies, as well as a very successful and long career for this author. I am giving this book a 5/5. I was given a copy to review, however all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment