Thursday, May 9, 2013

These are the Days of Elijah Review!


These Are the Days of Elijah: How God Uses Ordinary People to Do Extraordinary Things by R.T. Kendall (Chosen Books)

God used Elijah to accomplish great things--
and He can use you, too.

Elijah is marked as one of the greatest prophets of the Bible. More than a gifted seer, he spoke directly for God, and with His authority. Elijah is the only prophet to have called down fire from heaven, and one of only two individuals in Scripture taken to heaven before tasting death. Yet this remarkable agent of the Lord was also very human, afflicted with the very same failings and fears you have.

With keen insight and practical application, beloved theologian and teacher R. T. Kendall explores the triumphs and contradictions of this powerful man of God. You will love seeing how Elijah was like you--righteous but proud, strong but cowardly, blessed but tested by trial and doubt.

And you will take joy in realizing how God will use you, as He did Elijah, for His perfect glory.

My Review:
I have been reading a lot about the Bible lately. However I have not read about Elijah yet. He was a great prophet and he was mentioned even after his death. He had a replacement prophet and also knew Moses. He predicted the drought, and when it would rain again, this is called "The Oath". He went with God and was not afraid to go against Jezebel or King Ahab, even after they wanted him dead.
I really learned a lot about the Bible with this book, and I didn't really know who Elijah was before. I just knew his name. The book was well written and easy to understand. The author did a great job explaining what he was talking about, and he also gave background information when needed. At the beginning of each chapter was a quote from the Bible that was relevant to the chapter. I liked that because I knew exactly what and where in the Bible I was reading about. I didn't like when the book said that going to a fortune teller and other things of the same nature were against God. I think it depends on why, and if you do what they say. I would love to get my fortune read, but I am very religious. I do know that fortune tellers can be seen as the author sees them.

I am giving this book a 4/5. I was given a copy to review by Chosen Books, however all opinions are my own!


No comments:

Post a Comment