Saturday, January 25, 2014

I, Walter by Mike Hartner Review



This is the life story of Walter Crofter, an English commoner who ran from home at the age of 11.  After two years living on the street, he ended up on a Merchant Mariners boat in the service of the Crown.
On his first voyage, he rescued a girl from pirates.  A very important girl, who stole his heart before she was returned to her home.
This is the story of his life.  What adventures he had at sea; what took him off the waters, and what happened to him as he lived his life and stayed true to his character.

My Review
I loved how his book followed a man's journey. It was interesting to compare the past surroundings to the present. Walter was a very complicated person and his explanation of his life proved that. The people he was in contact with were an interesting read. I liked the part where he stopped writing his story to talk about his wife, and for her to talk about Walter's life. I did not like that this is the first book in a series, and I wish that it did not jump forward in time the way it did, but rather stopped at a specific time in his life. I think that it will be hard now for readers to pick up the story in the second book. However I want to know more about Walter and can not wait to red the next book. I would like to see more people brought in to talk about Walter as well. The way the author wrote about the different places where Walter had been was interesting to me, because I have only ever visited one continent. I am giving this book a 3/5. I was given a copy to review from OrangeBerry Book Tours, however all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment