Sunday, March 22, 2015

The Mask of Midnight by Laurie Stevens Interview

sneak peekmask at midnight  large banner640This tour is a Sneak Peek at Laurie Stevens New Book The Mask of Midnight!

The Mask of Midnight
by Laurie Stevens

mask at midnightThe Mask of Midnight
by Laurie Stevens
Psychological Thriller

Synopsis:

Troubled homicide detective Gabriel McRay confronts his nemesis Victor Archwood at the killer’s trial. A surprise twist during the proceedings sets a course for Archwood to claim his ultimate revenge on the detective, whom he blames for ruining his life. In a trap that combines Archwood’s theatrical skills and criminal genius, Gabriel is forced to face his psychological demons once again and play a deadly cat and mouse game with a murderous opponent who will stop at nothing to achieve the detective’s total destruction.
788d18c39337d3ce4be7f85f52a7d3b9

About This Author
 Laurie Stevens is the author of the best-selling Gabriel McRay psychological thrillers. The two books so far in the series, The Dark Before Dawnand Deep into Dusk have won 9 awards, among them Kirkus Reviews Best of 2011 and the 2014 IPPY for Best Mystery/Thriller. Laurie is a “hybrid” author, having self-published her books, finding an agent for worldwide rights, and then selling her books to Random House, Germany. For more information visit www.lauriestevensbooks.com

Interview

Where are you from?

I was born and raised in Los Angeles, California.  I’m second generation Californian as my father was born in San Francisco and my mother in Los Angeles.

Tell us your latest news?

Well, my books were signed with Blanvalet, which is Random House, Germany. The Dark Before Dawn will be released this May and Deep into Dusk will come out in 2016. So Gabriel, the main character of the series, will be facing his fears across the Atlantic!  I also just signed with Renaissance Literary and Talent, who I am very excited to be working with.

When and why did you begin writing?

Writing has always been a place where I’ve felt most comfortable.  I used to be an avid journal writer (mostly to work out my own issues-- until I decided to give a created character some issues!)  I remember winning a creative writing award in middle school and being surprised at that.  I think writers have very fertile imaginations but sometimes, unless we’re told differently, we think that a strong imagination is a strange phenomenon that sets us apart and not the blessing that it is.  It took me a while to realize that thinking outside the box is a gift.  I wrote from a very young age because I liked it, not because I thought I should be a writer. In my younger years I wanted to be in an all-female rock band!  I wrote a lot of songs--I even worked for a big record company (Columbia Records), but when I went to sell my songs, the music publisher would keep telling me my story writing was much stronger.  I didn’t know what to believe.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?

That’s an interesting question because you’re asking me when I considered myself a writer. I had a few poems published along with a couple of short stories, but I didn’t consider that much success.  (A word to you writers out there: you get published in ANY manner, guess what? It’s success). I knew a couple of people -- one actress and one screenwriter-- who skyrocketed in their chosen fields. I mean they became super famous. I made the mistake of comparing my path to theirs. Never do that.  It’s when I was willing to let that kind of mindset go that I knew I was a writer.  I took the pressure off and decided that the real magic was in the writing and how it made me feel (which was always good). And then viola! Magic things started happening for me in my chosen career.

What inspired you to write your first book?

I wrote The Dark Before Dawn because I wanted to highlight how unaddressed trauma can seriously affect every aspect of a person’s life -- his relationships with other people (friends, lovers), his relationship with himself (job, everyday decisions). I wanted a man to be the vehicle for this because I think it’s more difficult for a man. Society expects certain behavior from men. I am extremely interested in psychology and forensics and it gave me an excuse to research like crazy.

Do you have a specific writing style?

Well, one thing that Steven King does that influenced me is the way he highlights inner dialogue by italicizing it.  I do that as well as I think being able to read what the character is thinking, no matter what the scene, is key in a book with a strong psychological emphasis.  Also, I’m a big fan of suspense books, so I write what I like to read: page-turners. 

How did you come up with the title?

I felt The Dark Before Dawn, even though it’s a common phrase, was perfect because Gabriel McRay is a character who really must face the dark before he can become enlightened.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

First and foremost, I would want the reader to be entertained.  As far as a message, I would hope Gabriel’s journey and his desire to become a happy man (as opposed to a burdened one) would resonate with people.  It is not easy to face fears, especially ones that are symptoms caused by a trauma.  Fear is very insidious and comes out in ways that are not readily identifiable. It takes work and that’s what I want to show in a somewhat interesting way.  Gabriel is a homicide detective and each case to which he’s assigned sparks whatever point he’s at in his recovery process. 

What would you like my readers to know?

I would like to know what they think about Gabriel’s journey. I love hearing from readers, whether it’s via an Amazon review or message.

As far as learning more about the books, they can visit my website, www.lauriestevensbooks.com, and I would love to connect with your readers on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lauriestevensbooks. I often post things relevant to Los Angeles, which is kind of a crazy character in and of itself and both places are where I offer updates on what’s happening with my own journey.
Author Links:
Twitter:  @lauriestevens1
Purchase Links Coming Soon!
Other Books In This Series
TOUR PARTICIPANTS
March 19 – Omnimystery News – Interview
March 20 – Tea and A Book – Review, Interview
March 21 – Babs Book Bistro – Guest Post
March 22 – Brooke Blogs – Guest Post
March 23 – deal sharing aunt – Interview
March 24 – Michele Lynn Seigfried’s Blog – Guest Post
March 25 – Back Porchervations – Review
March 26 – EditingPen – Interview
March 27 – Teresa Trent Author Site – Review
March 28 – off
March 29 – Escape With Dollycas Into A Good Book – Spotlight
March 30 – Lori’s Reading Corner – Guest Post


1 comment:

  1. Great to be here -- thanks so much for having me on board!

    ReplyDelete