Thursday, April 25, 2013

North of Hope by Shannon Huffman Polson review~ true memoir ~

North of Hope: A Daughter's Arctic Journey
A memoir of adventure, tragedy, family and faith, and a daughter navigating the wilderness of Alaska and her own heart.

Consider ordering your copy of North of Hope through your local bookstore

Order North of Hope online:
Red Room
Zondervan

Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Preordered and want to let them know? Print out the poster, roll, and tie...and, voila! 

READ the first chapter HERE. (Copyright, Zondervan, 2013)


5% of author revenue from North of Hope will go to support the work of the Alaska Wilderness League

In junior high school,  I wrote "writer, artist," on my dreams and plans list, and the rest is history, as they say, though not really, not if you consider history some kind of a linear path. During high school I flirted with law and veterinary science, returned to English literature as a major in college (along with art history), and went off to fly Apache helicopters in the Army for the rest of my twenties. In the midst of school and flying came skydiving, big-mountain climbing and long-course triathlons. To turn all that into something practical, I went to business school, and worked in the corporate jungle for a few years. Then I started an MDiv (part-time), and decided not to pursue it. I'm sure I've missed something, but that's mostly it.
 


My Review:
This book was a little to close to home for me. My dad died while I was with him, and I completely understand the author's need to see where her dad died. The rush of memories and the pain I could definitely relate to. I wish my dad had left a journal.
I liked how the author didn't hold anything back, and I felt like I was on the journey with her. I also am a lot more afraid of bears.
When she was at the site I wanted to reach through the book and hug her. The ending was so sweet and emotional. It was hard to read this book and not be emotional. The author definitely wore her heart on her sleeve for this book, and by the end your emotional roller coaster is over. In a good way.
I am giving this book a 5/5! I also give the author a lot of credit for telling her story! I w given a copy to review, however all opinions are my own!

1 comment:

  1. Great review. I also read and loved this book. It’s the kind of book that stuns you with its beauty, even as it describes some difficult things. I have not suffered loss like Shannon did and yet her observations felt applicable to my life–I found myself nodding in agreement at her insights about grief, God and the way that any suffering transforms and strengthens us–eventually. She did not pretend that this was an easy journey, but ultimately, it was a hopeful one. The author's blog at http://aborderlife.com is also a must-read.

    ReplyDelete